Emergency John Guest Replacement

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bribie G

Adjunct Professor
Reaction score
I've had a sneaky gas leak for a while now. I thought it might be a faulty QD or post on a particular keg, but last night I emptied the kegerator, turned gas up to maximum and found that the leak is coming from one leg of the first John Guest splitter as the line comes into the kegerator. One leg goes to two kegs and the other goes to the third keg and a gas line that I use for flushing (originally used to use it for a CPBF)

Bugger, no keg beer for a week. Where do you get a John Guest on Bribie Island on a Thursday without ordering from CB and probably waiting till Wednesday plus ten bucks postage. I remembered seeing some fittings at the local Autopro so I ducked in with a sample of gas line and

Boom Boom Tish

four bucks

gas_joiner_1__Large_.jpg

A kettle of boiling water and some keg lube, I cranked the gas right up to max and tight as a fish's.

Edit: anyone setting up a 3-keg Kegmate using all JG fittings might be advised to use an equal-tee as the first splitter rather than the side-by-side item.

gas_joiner_2__Large_.jpg

It'll never come apart again, but nor would I want it to. Obviously the keg tetris involved in a Kegmate had strained the original JG fitting and maybe broken a leaf. The new setup is great as it points the 2-keg leg right in the direction I want it, with the original fitting it was a strain, made it do the splits poor dear.

I just got 4 of these the other day. Connected directly to my check valve and makes a nice neat solution.

Not genuine John Guest parts, but the quality on them seems pretty good to me.

edit: obviously no good when you need a fix right now - awsome job on the quick fix there Bribie

There seem to be a few John Guest knockoffs around, the auto parts shop today had a series of JG type stuff as well - maybe they are used in hydraulic lines or for paint spraying gear or something?

Hey, that was the best four bucks I've spent for yonks, the new fitting points right where I want it to go and curl the beer lines neatly and store on top of the kegs. The other leg is about a metre and a half long so I can curl it round into a birds nest and it can come in from any direction. Problems all solved, keg tetris a thing of the past :icon_cheers:

gas_joiner_3__Large_.jpg

Where did you get that Bevlex beer line? Looks nice and flexible, mines as stiff as 6-day undies.

Off rosscoe, it's a bit wider than the "normal" beer line, it's specific to the Kegmate type fonts - I didn't realise that there was any other beer line but looking at the site I see that there are various OD and ID types.

Off rosscoe, it's a bit wider than the "normal" beer line, it's specific to the Kegmate type fonts - I didn't realise that there was any other beer line but looking at the site I see that there are various OD and ID types.
As long as it fits standard JG fittings, I'm golden.

Back