Emergency Hop Weighing Without Scales

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facter

Reaction score
My stupid scale has decided to bunk out on me in the middle of my brewing session. I have the mash going and it'll be about another half an hour until I have to sparge and boil ...

Is there any way I can measure out the grams of hops without a scale? I know its a long shot ... at the moment my only option is to split the 100gram pellet bag into ten equal portions, and then use one of those portions, its about 11 grams for 10 ibu, ill jsut go for the pile that looks around right....

Anyone else ever had to manually measure hop pellets without the aid of scales?

Dont want to over do them, as its a weizen, and want to keep the IBUs low ...

facter, if my scales went kaput in the middle of a brew, I would follow exatcly the method you have already outlined.

Good thing it wasn't your thermometer.

split it into ten piles, but you know the biggest and the smallest will NOT be 10g - that narrows it down to the eight in the middle

My stupid scale has decided to bunk out on me in the middle of my brewing session. I have the mash going and it'll be about another half an hour until I have to sparge and boil ...

Is there any way I can measure out the grams of hops without a scale? I know its a long shot ... at the moment my only option is to split the 100gram pellet bag into ten equal portions, and then use one of those portions, its about 11 grams for 10 ibu, ill jsut go for the pile that looks around right....
Anyone else ever had to manually measure hop pellets without the aid of scales?

Dont want to over do them, as its a weizen, and want to keep the IBUs low ...

mate - go round to the neighbours, see if they have one. Ive never manually done it apart from dry hopping in secondary - I would just get a small handfull about the size of 20gms and chuck it in. I wouldnt be trying it for the the boil though. Dividing the 100gm pellet into ten piles would be your best bet I reckon.
Cheers
Steve

Latest posts

Back