Embarassing Question Re Alc Content

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2010banditsa

Reaction score
Hi its been a while since i have put a brew down and have a very stupid question. If i mix 1kg of coopers brew enhancer 1 into a tin and prime bottles as recommended, will it give me around 5%? The reason i ask is that it mentions it contains non fermentable sugars and the kit makes it about 4.2%, but i cant remember if the bottle priming adds mmuch to the alc content of the bottle lk,

The general rule of the thumb is to add .5 % to your bottles.

So if you prime at the correct rates, you'll get...

4.2% + .5% = 4.7%

The alcohol content can be approximated by taking the change in gravity (in points) and dividing by 7.5 so if you started at 1.050 and finished at 1.010, 50-10 = 40/7.5 gives 5.33% ABV (roughly). There are a bunch of other ways to get a very similar answer; heres a few.
Your priming sugar will add a bit more roughly
6g of sugar in 750 ml
6/750 = 0.008 x 100 gives 0.8oP which is roughly 1.0032, if that all fermented you would be picking up ~3.2/7.5 = 0.426% ABV, just add that to your known alcohol from the fermentation.
Mind you a 1.7 Kg can and a bag of BE1 will give you an OG of 1.041 (ish) in 23 Litres, the BE 1 has 250g of Maltodextrin that is only about 30% fermentable so you will pull up somewhere around 1.008-1.010, your alcohol content is really only going to be 4-4.1% plus you bottling so around 4.4-4.5%, you will need to take readings to be sure.
MHB

Opps forgot the link

Back