Eliminate Ginger Smell!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikey!!!

Reaction score
Hi all!

I recently bottled a very powerful ginger beer and I want to get another pale ale going in the carboy now...

The big problem is that the carboy has a really strong smell of ginger in it and I can't get rid of it! I've soaked it for a couple of days in the coopers cleaning stuff and i've rinsed it 5 times in hot water. :unsure:

Is the tank ruined? Can I get rid of this smell? Or do you think that if I throw my pale ale in there, it won't pick up the ginger smell? (I'd be really surprised if it didn't pick up that ginger taste - it's quite strong!)

Cheers,
m.

Had the same problem, I ended up using costic soda and hot water and rinsed with citric acid and water.

Make sure you wear gloves and goggles...

go down to coles or woolies or wat have you, and get 2 litres of lemon juice in the bottles, add 2 litres hot water wash with that, should get rid of the smell.

It happened to me too, I used the fermenter after soaking it in bleach for a few days and

rinsing numerous times, but could taste the ginger in the next beer

so I retired the fermenter, might use it again if I ever make another ginger beer.

Cheers,

Great! Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try the lemon juice now and let you know how it goes. If that doesn't work, I might do as you did keep this old fermenter exclusively for ginger beers or things that could do with a slight hint of ginger.

If anyone else has any ideas though, please reply!

water is good for getting polar stuff out, but the stuff that remains might be non polar (oils and such).

You may have some luck using detergent, or maybe some pure ethanol (not methylated spirits). I am sure a few brewers have lots of pure ethanol around. If you dont have any maybe ask a fellow brewer.

water is good for getting polar stuff out, but the stuff that remains might be non polar (oils and such).

You may have some luck using detergent, or maybe some pure ethanol (not methylated spirits). I am sure a few brewers have lots of pure ethanol around. If you dont have any maybe ask a fellow brewer.

Right - that makes sense, I didn't think of the polarity issues. Do you know if there is anything easier to get my hands on that would work as well as ethanol? And wouldn't cost more than another fermenter?

Well, i dont know if it would make it better or worse, but i use orange oil cleaner to get unknown crap off stuff. It may be easier to remove the orange smell than the ginger smell... I would test it on some random container first though to make sure you dont make it worse.

Often the issue with fermentors holding smells is because PET/HDPE has quite a rough surface, with lots of pockets to store stuff.

You may have luck blasting the inside out with a high pressure water hose, those used for cleaning concrete?

Alternatively put some money aside for an SS fermentor or glass carboy to brew in.
That said, seeing as you can rig up a fermentor for like 10 bucks, im leaning more to suggesting that you just use one fermentor for stinky stuff and keep your pale's far away from it.

I've had fermenters smelling like residue ginger beer before. A strong solution of sodium metabisulphite does the trick.

Available at most Home brew shops, mix up extra strength, rinse so everything is in contact, discard and let stand. Don't breathe the fumes yourself.

After at least one hour (although in this case I recommend 12 - overnight) rinse with cold water. If ginger remains, repeat.

If soaking it in bleach doesn't do it just keep it for gingers and buy a new fermenter from bunnings, it will be like $15. Easy.
If you want to keep brewing all different styles like ciders, gingers, stouts as well as lighter beers then save up for a SS or glass carboy.

Ok. So I just bought a new fermenter online. I'll keep this old one for the smellier brews. Thanks for all your advice - this ginger ale better be worth it!!! :)

i have never had a problem with this and all i do is soak in nappy san

i have never had a problem with this and all i do is soak in nappy san

Yeah? Maybe I should give that a go then. This GB had a GB kit, some ginger cordial, 1Kg of grated ginger and a couple of chillis in it, among other things. It must have been too strong for the plastic because I've cleaned it heaps and nothing's worked. Nappy san does work pretty well on my clothes though! I'll have to try it.

Latest posts

Back