Element install

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr B

Reaction score
Hey all

I made a HLT on the weekend with a 5 star element and housing.

Everything went well, no leaks etc.

However, one aspect is troubling me.

I didnt use the hard white seal between the housing and the pot, to ensure i got a good earth - which I did, tested with a voltmeter (resistance).

However, I didnt use thread tape where the element screws to the housing, for the same reason.

But, if the silicoln washer on the inside of the pot leaks, without tape water might get to the wiring.

I didnt use tape to maintain earth continuity between pot, element, and water. I assume that if I used tape, the threads should still bite metal to metal - but not 100% sure.

So - Do people use thread tape when installing elements?

Pretty sure I used thread tape for peace of mind. You've made good contact with the flange so the small area of thread in contact with the pot won't make a huge difference. I'd recommend cutting a section out of the seal between the housing and guard section at 6 o'clock. That way, if a leak develops, you'll likely notice it and the housing will be slow to fill with liquid.

Mr B ,when did you but this 5 star element ? And which power rating etc.
The reason I'm asking is that I've tried contacting 5 star through their site contact details and am getting no response.
Thanks in advance. Spog.

Thanks Camo. Good point re cutting a bit of the seal.

Light just came on. I was thinking that if the thread tape isolated the element from the housing/pot (as its not then directly earthed), then if there was an issue then the water would carry the load - but the water would earth the element through the pot............

Spog - Got them a couple of months ago? Intermediate time due to kids etc, finally got to using one of the two. Used a 2400w, am in the process of making a better HERMS for a 3600w.

Noted your probs in the other thread (think it was you). I found 5 star generally fantastic. I initially went to order elements but they didnt have them in stock, so I emailed them, and they replied offering to reserve a couple in their next shipment. I did and they did I think, or maybe they just happened to have them when I went to order them. Was a bit of a on/off process from my end. Might have been last Novermberish?

Anyway, send them an email and they should get back to you. Not sure whats going on with your delay.

Brewery upgrades are not fated to be instant from my experience - I have gone a partial upgrade due to equipment supply delivery issues, and generally scheming for the past couple of years.......

Correct Mr B, if 1 part of the system is earthed then the rest of it will be. You'll find that the thread tape will be penetrated by the nut when tightened, therefore creating enough contact.

One more q for the sparkies

Using a voltmeter, with the element on, between the kettle and 'earth' (actually a gal garbage bin sitting on concrete and with a bit of water around the bottom), I got about 1-3w reading - but no amps/milliamps.

Situation normal? I assume there may be a bit of induction from the wire in the element housing (I didnt shorten the white wires, but coiled them in the housing)?

BTW, I checked with my sparky re wiring. But you guys probably know more regarding kettles/elements etc.

Latest posts

Back