Electric Water boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mlee82

Reaction score
Hi looking at getting my first boiler Kettle and moving into extract. Was looking at getting a 50L brewing pot and using a gas cooker to heat it. But I have come across an electric Urn. The heat range is from 25* to 100*. Would anyone recommend one of these for boiling?
IMG_9359.JPG

Short answer is yes. Heaps of people have used urns for brewing (do a search for brew in a bag and you find heaps of information).

Long answer is it depends on the sort of element (exposed or concealed) and how strong a boil the urn can get up to (it may reach 100C, but not be a vigorous enough boil for wort).

You can still make great beer using it, however it may need a little tweaking depending on a few different factors.

Not sure what the quality/price of that unit is but I can vouch for the Crown urns (I have a 40L one I use for BIAB) also there are the Digiboil's, they look alright..

Thanks for the advice. I’ve gone with the electric urn option & have just forked out on one of these. Can’t wait to get it
IMG_9361.JPG

Latest posts

Back