Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Electric Water boiler

Discussion in 'Gear and Equipment' started by Mlee82, 26/6/19.

1. Mlee82

Posted 26/6/19
    Hi looking at getting my first boiler Kettle and moving into extract. Was looking at getting a 50L brewing pot and using a gas cooker to heat it. But I have come across an electric Urn. The heat range is from 25* to 100*. Would anyone recommend one of these for boiling? IMG_9359.JPG

2. JDW81

I make wort, the yeast make it beer.

Posted 27/6/19
    Short answer is yes. Heaps of people have used urns for brewing (do a search for brew in a bag and you find heaps of information).

Long answer is it depends on the sort of element (exposed or concealed) and how strong a boil the urn can get up to (it may reach 100C, but not be a vigorous enough boil for wort).

You can still make great beer using it, however it may need a little tweaking depending on a few different factors.

Mlee82 likes this.
  3. Schikitar

Posted 27/6/19
    Not sure what the quality/price of that unit is but I can vouch for the Crown urns (I have a 40L one I use for BIAB) also there are the Digiboil's, they look alright..

Mlee82 likes this.
  4. Mlee82

Posted 27/6/19
    Thanks for the advice. I’ve gone with the electric urn option & have just forked out on one of these. Can’t wait to get it IMG_9361.JPG

Schikitar likes this.