• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Equipment For Sale Electric, Single Tier, 4 vessel, HERMS brew rig

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deonferris

Reaction score
Hi, selling my brew rig (and other associated brewing equipment to be listed separately in other threads). I just don't have the time to brew these days.

This rig has been constructed over the years and brewed over 100 great brews. Would prefer to sell as whole unit at this stage but may separate if no immediate sale/interest.

Pick up from Adelaide (Greenwith, 5125)

$1,300 ono

Electric, Single Tier, 4 vessel, HERMS brew rig

- runs on two separate 10A circuits

50L HLT (Electric):

- 2400w Weldless Element & Guard Kit (single bar style) – from 5-Star Distilling

- sight gauge

- ½” SS 3-piece ball valves (bottom & top)

- SS movable thermowell for temp gauge

- fitted lid

50L Mash Tun:

- Wood & Foam Insulated with lid

- 30cm SS false bottom

- adjustable mash recirc return

50L Brew Kettle (Electric):

- 2400w Weldless Element & Guard Kit (single bar style) – from 5-Star Distilling

- SS hop screen

- SS fitted lid

- SS movable thermowell for temp gauge

- adjustable whirlpool setup (optional)

- adjustable hopspider set up (optional)

Heat Exchanger (Electric):

- HERMS SS Coil Kit (from OnlineBrewingSupplies) with thermowell kit

- 2.4kW, 1.7L Kettle

- 1 degC/minute ramp times

Additional brew rig items included:

Mounted March Pump (with splashproof housing)

Mounted Kaixin Pump (with splashproof housing)

Mounted 30-plate Chiller with thermowell and brass attachments

Sturdy brew stand

All silicon tubing with brass attachments

Temperature Gauges (5x STC-1000 in protective jiffy boxes & TempMate)

SS Hop spider filter (approx. 350mm length)

Assorted SS gear (strainer, jug, bowls etc)

Hop Randall (approx. 250mm length)

Numerous extension cords, power boards, and on/off timers to run brewery

Attachments

• 1. Brewery Photo 1.jpg
    1. Brewery Photo 1.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 2. HLT, HEX, Pumps 1.JPG
    2. HLT, HEX, Pumps 1.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 3. MT 3.JPG
    3. MT 3.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 4. Temp Guages.JPG
    4. Temp Guages.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 30-Plate Chiller 2.JPG
    30-Plate Chiller 2.JPG
  • BK 1.JPG
    BK 1.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • BK 3.JPG
    BK 3.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • HEX 1.JPG
    HEX 1.JPG
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • HEX 2.JPG
    HEX 2.JPG
  • HLT & BK Elements.jpg
    HLT & BK Elements.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Hi, looks like a nice set up. Is it still available?

Can you set the mash temp via the controllers and also set for step mashing?

I'm guessing the 4th vessel is the hear exchanger.

I use a gas fired kettle. How responsive is the electric kettle?

Hi, yes it's still available.

1) Yes, you can set the mash temp via the controllers. I also use an on/off electric timer so I can set the HLT to desired mash in temperatures prior to starting my brew day. I also simultaneously use another on/off electric timer so the HEX is at recirc temps ready to go. Works a treat.

2) Yes, the 4th vessel is the HEX.

3) Yes, after mash in / recirc has started, you can manually set the controllers to step up to desired temps for multi-step mashing and mash out. Easy.

Regarding temp control, I use the temp controllers in the HLT, the HEX, the brew kettle, and the plate chiller (wort out) – so at all times know the temperatures of hot liquor, mash, boiling wort, and hopped wort going into the fermenter (great for pitching yeast immediately).

It’s also useful for checking temp of PBW when flushing through the system when cleaning.

4) I used to use a 3-ring gas burner on this system for the brew kettle but made the switch to fully electric some years back. No drop in performance. Just a cleaner, more efficient brew day (IMO). The 2.4kW elements are great for this sized unit.

Let me know if you’d like to come check out the rig.

Cheers

Hi, yes it's still available.

1) Yes, you can set the mash temp via the controllers. I also use an on/off electric timer so I can set the HLT to desired mash in temperatures prior to starting my brew day. I also simultaneously use another on/off electric timer so the HEX is at recirc temps ready to go. Works a treat.

2) Yes, the 4th vessel is the HEX.

3) Yes, after mash in / recirc has started, you can manually set the controllers to step up to desired temps for multi-step mashing and mash out. Easy.

Regarding temp control, I use the temp controllers in the HLT, the HEX, the brew kettle, and the plate chiller (wort out) – so at all times know the temperatures of hot liquor, mash, boiling wort, and hopped wort going into the fermenter (great for pitching yeast immediately).

It’s also useful for checking temp of PBW when flushing through the system when cleaning.

4) I used to use a 3-ring gas burner on this system for the brew kettle but made the switch to fully electric some years back. No drop in performance. Just a cleaner, more efficient brew day (IMO). The 2.4kW elements are great for this sized unit.

Let me know if you’d like to come check out the rig.

Cheers
Thanks for the details. Sounds like you've got the temp controlled pretty thoroughly. What volume do you get into the fermenter?

Hi,

I typically did 23L to 25L batches, but you could do more with judicious use of the brew kettle. There’s certainly capacity with the current HLT and Mash Tun. A 70L brew kettle would make it a breeze to do double batches though.

Cheers

Latest posts

Back