Electric Power For Boiler

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
i am talking to a supplyer of electric elements for my boiler and just wonder what power raiting others use in there boilers?

i was thinking of 2400 watts on a large element, but maybe i can get away with less? like 1800W

Ben,
I started using a 1400w element ad i coudn't produce a decent brew - got to a gentle boil but not enuf. As soon as I started using a 2400w immersion 'rod of power' problems solved.

Go the 2400w

Cheers
Roach

Ben

It depends on what size batches you want to make. I aim to have 22ltrs after the boils, so after loses to the kettle, shrinkage after cooling, loses to the fermenter, I'm left with just enough to fill a keg. This means starting off with just over 28ltrs in the kettle and a 2400w element does this nicely. Anything less and it would take too long to boil and you would get a good enough boil. Any more an you run into problems with triping fuses, and the need to regulate the power once it has come to a boil.

Like Roach I use an immersion element or "the rod of power". What I like about these is you only need one, because you can put it in either your HLT or Kettle, and there is no need to drill holes and make bulkheads.

Cheers
MAH

I'm about to change my kettle over to electric, go the 2400W. Saves on time to boil too. I plan to mount two elements my kettle like in my HLT. In my HLT I have an 1800W and a 2200W, together they get to the boil pretty damn quick, then I can turn the 2200W one off and it will keep the boil going but I'd still recommend a bigger wattage. FWIW I dont boil the water in my HLT for brewing, it's for another purpose so no silly questions please.

Cheers, Justin

I fitted a 2400w element to my HLT
Now I set it on a timer so it's at mash in temperture when I wake up , saves sometime

I welded in that bush , then just screw in the element
I have made a J/Box to cover the esposed wires
Time I posted a gallery
Pic shows the element in the HLT

Where did you get that element from Batz? I have a keg waiting for a suitable element just need to track one down :)

Great photos Batz. Did you arc or TIG that weld?
Looks good either way. I ask as I have a bundle of 316 arc rods :ph34r:

Hey all you guys with immersion/screw-in elements, how long does it take to get the wort to a boil? Also, do you have any problems with scorching/over caramelisation?

Chers - Snow

TIG

Luckly a mate has access to one

idea of what she cost ya batz?

I am talking to a supplyer about these similar heaters but he is worried about the sugars in solution.. not sure why yet, as he siad the ph is fine....

will let you all know what he finally comes up with at what price

Ok boys. See that flock of pigeons Here comes the cat

Gas or Electric. What's best? Id love to hear everyones views on the pros and cons

i have kids - so i use electric as i dont want NASA flames and fumes around with the kids.

i pay to fill the gas bottle but not the power point so elec is best for me $ wise :) and it tends not to run out half way through a boil
Also for me cheaper to control (with electronics)
maybe more cost effective (is for me cos i dont pay ;) )

etc

personal thing i guess

I use electricity for convienience, but also becuase of lifestyle choices. I'm trying to limit my impact on the environment. With my electricity company I have chosen to use green energy. The company matches 100% of the energy my household consumes with energy generated from renewable energy resources. This makes my brewing carbon neutral.

In the next few years I'll be building a new house, which will be as eco-friendly as I can possibly make it, including solar panels, so for me it's a no-brainer - electric all the way!

Cheers
MAH

Yes I am a green enery guy too. Must be a AHB thing??

Although those NASA burners scare the bejesus out of me particularly when what happened at a local AG get together when one of the gas fittings/hoses failed :ph34r:

with kids around i am a bid paranoid about gas. but i spose the hot wort is also a bit of a worry. but as long as common sense/precautions is used and keep the kids clear things will be ok

Are all you electric people using elements like Batz (ie. big and long like Batz :eek: :huh: :p ), or do you use immersion wand type element or the smaller kettle elements? Just keen for a few thoughts and experiences. I was thinking of using the smaller kettle elements (which are actually quick a bit longer than you think if they were straightened out) But I also have a 2400W sickle shaped hot water service one.

FWIW I use gas for boiler, electric HLT but planning to change over to electric kettle too when I get around to it.

Cheers, Justin

Back