Electric Keggle Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raven19

Homer is God
Reaction score
Been getting a few questions and comments of late about my HLT - this is a reincarnation from 3G, but since purchasing off him, I have added a sight gauge, Element housing enclosure, Thermowell and gave it a rough polish with a flap disc.

Thermowell from Beerbelly (I use a cheap temp controller within my control panel to control the temp).

Sight gauge bulkhead and fittings all from Beerbelly.

3 Piece ball valve and camlocks from T&S.

10A, 2400W element sealed against the keggle wall with 2 silicon washers from a cheap silicon baking tray.

Basic pick up tube is just some copper pipe bent down to pickup water right down to the bottom of the keggle.

DSCN4133.JPG

DSCN4126.JPG

DSCN4132.JPG

Looks Lovely, Just a quick question: In the second photo, the box on the side (element housing i think) is that socket just one of those computer power supply unit sockets? or did you buy it off-the-shelf?

Cheers Wallace, and yes its just an IEC connector from Jaycar, Dick Smiths or equivalent. A few bucks each iirc. The aluminium housing box was also bought from Jaycar - no affiliations etc.

I have used the IEC's on my (and Smurto's) temp controllers, brewery control panel, etc too.

Temp controllers used them here: Linky

Hey Raven.

This is excatly what im trying to put together at the moment. Im trying to move from Partials to Ag and im trying to make an electic HLT out of a CUB keg. Can I ask what Element you used.

Hey Raven.

This is excatly what im trying to put together at the moment. Im trying to move from Partials to Ag and im trying to make an electic HLT out of a CUB keg. Can I ask what Element you used.
A lot of guys are using this one, just need a locking nut to go with it - I got a nut from Reece Plumbing for it but the supplier may have them. Good discussions here and here about HLT elements and setting up a Jiffy box etc.

Thanks Logman. I've read those other threads before and gained a good idea of how to fit and install them with the jiffy box I'm just looking at the best element to get. Also I'm going to run it through a temp control but having never used one before I'm not sure if I need to instal a dail temp gauge or if the temp control will show me the current temp as well as the target temp. I'm planning on installing a site gauge as well. I found some that you can run with a dial temp gauge in one. also not sure looking at ravens how he connects his built in probe to his temp control.

Any hot water element will be fine for the HLT, as scorching is not an issue with just water.

Mine is 2400W - when its full, its still gets up to temp no worries on the timer (with lid on the HLT) - I usually have the time flick on 2 hours before I plan on mashing in.

I'm not sure if I need to instal a dail temp gauge or if the temp control will show me the current temp as well as the target temp.
No need for a dial temp guage. A temp controller shows the current temperature on the display, so you program the target temp in and it shows the temp as it rises.
also not sure looking at ravens how he connects his built in probe to his temp control.
You'll need a thermowell to put the probe in, something like this from one of the sponsors. It's not essential to have a site gauge but it's handy I guess to tell how much liquid you've drained into the mash tun.

Guys thanks so much for all the info, you have cleared up alot of issues I had running around in my head. Now I just need to put all the ideas into practice and start to gather all the bits and pieces that I still need. Then the fun part of putting it all together. Thanks again its been a great help.

Back