Electric Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Borret

Crazy Eye's Brewery
Reaction score
Do you think these are value for money...... cause I just bought all 11 for 5 bucks :beerbang: I think I just found a few reasons to go electric HLT.
And to think this morning I hadn't even thought about going electric.
I believe they are 1650w which should go nicely with 2 in the HLT....... now what to do with the other 9.... Hmmmm :chug: Maybe power the kebab bar with them :unsure:

Cheers

Borret :blink:

60_1_b.jpg

Give an man an element and he can make a cup of tea.

Teach him to use 11 and call him a giant urn. :lol:

Warren -

Maye the dog might even like his water heated during winter....... that leaves 8

Borret

Or perhaps one could fabricate his own jacuzzi? Maybe a nice March pump to create the turbulence?

Hint: Don't sit on the elements, lest ye get griddle marks on ye buttocks. :blink:

Warren -

If you put 2 into one kettle won't go over the power rating of the power point? I say this as the ower of 2 urns (each rated at 2400 ) who has to run an extension cord into the brew house to stop the safety switch tripping.
I've been looking for an inovative solution but have yet to find one. So I'm thinking of putting in a new power point (well getting an electrian to do it). If there is a more cost effective DIY way of getting around the problem I'd love to hear about it, bearing in mind that I have a great respect for (or fear of) electricity.

You could get an electrician to install a 15amp outlet next to where you do your brewing. That will allow 3600W which should be plenty.

vlbaby.

Borret I will give you five bucks for one as that would be perfect for my still that I am making?

Kramer

just make sure that they are the immersable type, as far as im aware you cant use dry ones wet, and vica versa

ozbrewer said:
just make sure that they are the immersable type, as far as im aware you cant use dry ones wet, and vica versa
[post="72063"][/post]​

Oz,

yep almost 100% sure there immersible. Advetised as kettle elements and the fact they have a screw thread and a rubber gasket is a giveawy.

Kramer, will see how we go when I get them.

Interesting that everone respects the power consumption of two of these so much but who would think twice about putting 2 blow heater in 2 seperate rooms on the one cuircut. These also run at 2400w but I have had 2 of these going in the shed on a cold night with no thought about it till now.
Pbrosman .As these are only 1650 w they only total 13.75 amps and so will probably not trip the circut like a pair of 2400's runing at 20A. (this is a semi-informed assumption) I don't belive the circuts trip till about 15A even though they are 10A rated.
I may look into the 15A outlet or if not use 1 element on a thermostat (eventually) and also have gas assist to bring it up to temp when I am in a hurry. The 2 ring burner on slightly increased gas flow brings it up to mash in temp in an hr ( on a 7 deg night int the shed) and is already mounted underneath so both inputs could work well. Once at working temp remove the gas and rely on the thermostated element thereafter.
Will see how they perform once I get them.

Cheers

Borret

Hey Borret,
It looks identical to the element in my HLT (50L)
I just got my sparky mate to stick a lead on it as i couldnt find the plug in female pin type lead for it anywhere.
And she goes like a train!!

Good score Borret !
:beerbang:

homebrewworld.com said:
Hey Borret,
It looks identical to the element in my HLT (50L)
I just got my sparky mate to stick a lead on it as i couldnt find the plug in female pin type lead for it anywhere.
And she goes like a train!!

Good score Borret !
:beerbang:
[post="72176"][/post]​

So you just use one and it's fine?

Borret

Borret,
Yep, i use one only in a 50L Plastic tank and its great.
I have even forgotten to turn it off when the tank is dry (over night!) and she still fires up again !
You will love it
:beerbang: :super:

Back