Electric Elements

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crusty

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I purchased a 2400 watt ss element for my Rims tube & have lost the contact details & the place that I got it from.
The guy that works there is Pushpendra. I know some of you guys have ordered from the same business as someone here put me onto them.
Can anyone point me in the right direction.
Cheers

What did it cost you mate. I'll be chasing one soon

What did it cost you mate. I'll be chasing one soon

I think it was $179.00 delivered.
1" bsp threaded, ss element, screw terminals, 350mm I think.
I can't find the transaction details from my bank or the details of the business.
Bloody computer crashed a couple of months ago & re-bulding everything back up.

wow thats a lot for a 2400w element. I got a 3600w & case for HLT from Stokes electrical (Vic) for $192.50 incl laser cut holes for terminal assembly (delivered) - pic.
maybe check them out if you ever have another need for more elements.

as for your actual question, I'll have to leave that for someone elese to answer. sry.

For a 2400w element, is there any reason to use an element like that rather than the elements from craftbrewer? They are the same wattage, and less than a third of the price?

I'm obviously missing something, but I dont understand!

Thanks guys,
It was Tobins.
The element I have is a medium density as opposed to the cheaper higher density ones from some of the sponsors.
As far as density goes for a Rims system, there seems to be quite a bit of scaremongering going on. Stuck sparges & too low a grain/water ratio seem to get people in trouble regardless of which element is being used. Wort scorching has been a problem in the past in a poorly designed system & can be a problem if you fail to ignore a few important points.
1. Re-circulate the mash through the Rims tube untill the wort return is clear, usually a minute or two, max.
2. Have a separate on/off switch for the element so you can fire it when required.
3. Select a higher grain/water ratio when setting up your mash schedule, 3.75l/kg for me, a nice thin mash.
4. I often double batch sparge but when formulating recipes & using a 3.75l/kg ratio, double batch sparging may result in two equal editions of too thick a mash & may lead to a stuck sparge if using the March pump. Keep this in mind to avoid any such problems.
Thanks for the help & links guys.
Cheers

Has anybody used the copper hot water unit elements available?

Has anybody used the copper hot water unit elements available?

Not myself, but I know a few brewers with both Hot Water Systems and Commercial Kettle elements. Both work excellent.

For a HLT it doesn't matter, but for RIMS you need to look at the heat density so you don't scorch the wort.

Bumping an old thread rather than starting a new one..

My 2kW 1.25" Threaded Element from my HERMS has carked it.

I've looked at links here, Tobins don't have them (only 2400w - too much for my 10amp setup),

TEE (Thermal Electric Elements) have one:
1.25" Threaded, 2kW, Foldback type - just called for a quote and it's $245 plus delivery. :eek:

Thermal Products (VIC) have them in their catalogue but they appear to have a thermowell sticking down the middle as well. I'm guessing as soon as I ask for one without, the cost will jump.

Does anyone have any other suggestions on sourcing one?
I was thinking more in the $100 sort of range for something like this - $245 seems way over the odds to me - TEE have them manufactured on request so I can understand why it's more but, sheet, that's too much.

Any tips?

Ooops, missed your edit regarding the thermowell!

You could just try the 1" screw in element with a reducing bush?

Thanks anyhow.
I've fired off queries to them (minus thermowell) and Stokes, will update on cost but fear they will be no less.
I'd rather not mess around with other fittings, it'll put the base of the element in the welded socket rather than the main body of Heat Exchanger.
1.25" seems a standard size for these so hopefully I'll find someone eventually.

Try grimwoods and see if a local supplier can get them. They have a pretty good online catalogue.

Thanks, I'll try Grimwoods too - just found out the Thermal Products one (with thermowell) is $60! So worst case, I'll just live with heating a tube of air as well. Much more like it!

i bought a couple of 1" bsp screw in's and they arrived today

$26.60 +GST for 1 X 2400watt (bottom one)
$30.00 +GST for 1 X 3600 (i have a 15 amp line)

got them from here http://www.australianelementsupplies.com.au/
if you call in the mornings (she leaves after lunch) and ask for Leanne you will get this price if you ask nicely :)
She provided excellent service as well, both phone and internet response

yet to test them but will over the weekend

DSCF5161.JPG

That 3600W looks pretty much exactly the same as the one I got from Thermal Products. I think mine may be a little longer, but it could just be the picture. Thats a very good price!

Thanks Maheel. I had already ordered a 1 1/4" one from Thermal Products. This is the diameter of the socket I have.
It arrived today and it is clearly larger than 1 1/4" and far too big for the hole. :(

The socket - 1.25" diameter

The old element - 1.25" diameter

The Thermal Products 1 1/4" BSP Screw In Element on right - old one on left

WTH? Am I misunderstanding some nuance of plumbing here?
I can't measure the new one perfectly as the elements block the centre line but it is around 1 5/8" diameter.

Bummed. Weekend brew, killed dead.

I now have no idea whether to get a 1" one, or if Thermal Products have their own system for sizes, or have just sent the wrong one.

Their website has the following image for the dimensions on a 1 1/4" BSP element, which don't make much sense to me - 1 1/4" is around 32mm??

Thanks Maheel. I had already ordered a 1 1/4" one from Thermal Products. This is the diameter of the socket I have.
It arrived today and it is clearly larger than 1 1/4" and far too big for the hole. :(

The socket - 1.25" diameter

The old element - 1.25" diameter

The Thermal Products 1 1/4" BSP Screw In Element on right - old one on left

WTH? Am I misunderstanding some nuance of plumbing here?
I can't measure the new one perfectly as the elements block the centre line but it is around 1 5/8" diameter.

Bummed. Weekend brew, killed dead.

I now have no idea whether to get a 1" one, or if Thermal Products have their own system for sizes, or have just sent the wrong one.

Their website has the following image for the dimensions on a 1 1/4" BSP element, which don't make much sense to me - 1 1/4" is around 32mm??

When talking about BSP fittings, the measurement is the internal measurement, all pipe fittings are the same.
If you are talking about tube, the external diameter is what you go by.
If you were to measure the internal diameter of a 1 1/4 pipe or fitting, it would measure 1 1/4.

Back