Electric Element To Fit Hlt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fergi

Reaction score
i have a 40 liter stainless kettle which i want to put an element into.
couple of questions ,has anyone put an element from an electric jug into a stainless pot, and how did you go with the rounded surface of the pot with making the element seal. i am goint to use this one for my HLT, the element is 2.2 kw so i assume that will bring 20/30 liters up to mash temps easily enough.

fergi

Fergi ... The answer is yes ... and yes kinda ... I had a few issues with getting a rolling boil .. I would truly suggest a Keg King 2200w Hot stick ... same wattage but such a difference !! and not likely to burn out too quickly on ya

Cheers

Matt

Weldless stainless steel element ... worth every cent. Just make a hole, screw it up and plug it in.

Use 2 if you're impatient... assuming you have the juice to supply them

ok thanks for the replies there guys, i think i will buy a proper one,

another question then, do the bought ones have a rounded flange or do they just have a flat one with a thick gasket.
fergi

I have not used electric kettle elements personally in my brewery.

But I know brewers who have had them in their HLT for many years, with no issues.

From what I've been told they are not that good for the wort kettle (heat density), but are good for a HLT

Matt,
where do i get a keg king 2200 element/
fergi

I'm throwing together some plans to build a recirculating single vessel BIAB system in a 70L pot for double batches and higher gravity beers.

Can someone tell me if the 2200w weldless elements are powerful enough to bring 50L to a boil?

If not, would I need a couple of them to achieve a boil or could someone recommend another element?

I have no electrical skills and need an element to run off my standard power supply.

A few people recommend that type of element and an over the side one for extra juice during the ramping up. Depends on your budget, and the severity of your addiction. If you start using more powerful elements you may need to get a 15 amp plug installed to handle them.

Bats said:
I'm throwing together some plans to build a recirculating single vessel BIAB system in a 70L pot for double batches and higher gravity beers.

Can someone tell me if the 2200w weldless elements are powerful enough to bring 50L to a boil?

If not, would I need a couple of them to achieve a boil or could someone recommend another element?

I have no electrical skills and need an element to run off my standard power supply.
You'll struggle to get 50L to the boil with one 2200 watt element.
I use these in my kettle http://www.ibrew.com.au/collections/gas-burners-heating-elements/products/heating-element-2400w
They are easy to fit. Drill the hole, screw in the shroud, plug in the lead and you're away.
You'll need to plug each element into a different supply though.

You replied too quickly for me. I edited my post to tell you that each element needs to be plugged into a seperate supply.
If you have two power circuits in your abode you will be ok.

billygoat said:
You replied too quickly for me. I edited my post to tell you that each element needs to be plugged into a seperate supply.
If you have two power circuits in your abode you will be ok.
Ha ha... Sorry.

I wouldn't know a circuit to a power point so not sure if I have the brains to pull that idea off.

Bats said:
Ha ha... Sorry.

I wouldn't know a circuit to a power point so not sure if I have the brains to pull that idea off.
plug each into a separate power point, if it trips(you'll know, the power will go out) find another power point and try that one,.

Ed: remember to reset the power if it trips after turning off the gear

Have a look at your fuse box/ circuit breaker box. If there are two there for power, ie 16 or 20 amp, turn one off and see what points are still running. If you are in a house, it is usually one side. Sometimes a kitchen will be split. If you have fuses, switch off the main switch before trying to remove one then switch it back on to test which power points it controls. If you have a plug in air conditioner, that may be on a separate circuit also.

If you are running two separate elements, a 15 amp outlet won't give you any more power than a double 10 amp. Both on a 16 amp circuit breaker. However, to run two items of a single 15 amp means you would need to use a power board which has a 10 amp overload cut out. If you want to run a 3600 w element then you do need a 15 amp outlet which should be on it's own circuit.

fergi said:
i have a 40 liter stainless kettle which i want to put an element into.
couple of questions ,has anyone put an element from an electric jug into a stainless pot, and how did you go with the rounded surface of the pot with making the element seal. i am goint to use this one for my HLT, the element is 2.2 kw so i assume that will bring 20/30 liters up to mash temps easily enough.

fergi
I have 2 k,mart kettle elements in my keggle both are powered by separate circuits in my shed.
I had a leak with 1 element as I slightly oversized the hole,but got around this by lining it with thread tape.
The info I got from a pommie site which the name of I can't think of now but the title is. How to fit a telco element in your keggle?..
Cheers....spog..

Bugga, just spied the date of the original post, I do have my glasses on but is late on a Friday .

Back