electric element rating and heat density

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berto

Reaction score
Hi guys,
finally looking at getting back into brewing and setting up a 3v RIMS system.
Currently looking at what elements I will need. Plan is for 3 total (1 MLT, 1RIMS tube, 1 ketlle).
System will be all 50L vessels so probably looking at max boil of ~40L or thereabouts.
The plan is to probably use a 3kW element in all vessels but can go higher no worries (3 phase sub board in my garage).
I also plan to use the rims tube to help getting the strike water to temp and bringing the kettle to the boil after the final sparge. I'm hoping this will shave off quite a bot of additional time.

A few quick questions based on this.
* Is 3000W high enough based on other peoples setups? Is it worth going for the higher rating?
* I am ideally aiming for about 3W/cmSQ for my rims tube element but assume this isn't critical based on the elements others are using?
* Should I be after a low or high density element for the kettle? Is there any benefits in either? I am assuming that a low desnity will limit the amount of cleaning I will have to do to it, but a higher density may provide more caramelisation. Correct or not?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Cheers, Rob

Hey Rob, 3kw will get a boil but one can always use more power :). have good insulation and lower power bills is the other option.

If the flow past rims is quick then you shouldn't get too much caramelisation. Typically a higher density equals more chance of scorching the wort, never seen this before myself though.

I have a proper low density 3kw 3phase element running on reduced voltage to derate it. the element is1 1/4 thread and 500mm long. I had to build tube and fitting for the element. cost $450 expensive but well worth the cash and no worries with scorching. higher density is cheaper works good and will fit punkins tube
I had a 3kw in an 80L keg that gave a good rolling boil but in 50 would be better.

I now have a stack of different wattage and length elements, most fit my tubes, some would require a custom fitout as they are too long, but i can make it up with 2" tees ect due to the triclamp nature of the modular system.

4800 watt up the top (2 sizes), 3600 watt in the middle (3 sizes) and 2400 watt at the bottom. All have a 1" bsp thread and can fit either my standard Rims tube or an extended one.

elements2.jpg

Latest posts

Back