Electric Drill recommendations for Mashmaster Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bruiserbbq

Reaction score
G'day all, I'm looking for Electric Drill recommendations for Mashmaster Mill.....I've just broke my drill....so looking to purchase another one better suited for the job.

Cheers Mark

G'day Mark

My story with my mill is that I was using my Milwaukee battery drill, but at the required slow speed, and milling around 5kg grain, the handle started getting VERY hot. Burnout imminent, I says to meself!

So I bit the bullet and got a Motion Dynamics geared motor and speed controller, built a box to house it all, and it's brilliant - I've never looked back. But - a bit expensive perhaps.

A lot of guys just go to Bunnings and get one of those big cheap drills with a warranty, and if it burns out, so what - go get another one.

Happy milling with whatever option you decide.

Secondhand wheelchair motor.$30-50
DC to DC motor controller , eBay$15
Lovejoy coupler$20
Machining to bore diameters to mate wheelchair motor to minimill $depends who you know...... Lathe... Give beers
Laptop power supply (19V) $Free they're everywhere.

Scrap wood, tools, some minor blood loss, screws, beers, food.

A great build, tough as... Those motors are designed for serious torque. Laptop power supply has over current trip. Should you shove your fingers into the rollers, it will hurt a lot, but you'll still be able to do your own testicle checks.

Add LED lights for bling, cred and sex appeal.

Yob is going to ping me for not doing my build thread......

ImageUploadedByAussie Home Brewer1469086350.951977.jpg

Cheap 500W skil from bunnings, bought it years ago, never let me down, I do have to regulate speed with the trigger though!

evoo4u said:
So I bit the bullet and got a Motion Dynamics geared motor and speed controller, built a box to house it all, and it's brilliant - I've never looked back. But - a bit expensive perhaps.

A lot of guys just go to Bunnings and get one of those big cheap drills with a warranty, and if it burns out, so what - go get another one.

Happy milling with whatever option you decide.
I just brought a mashmaster mill (this morning actually) and I plan to set mine up with the motor you mention. The sad part is I can't afford the motor just yet so I'll just have to stare at my mill until I get the funds together. A bit expensive but you get what you pay for I reckon. It's worth waiting for.

Back