Electric brew rigs... Pondering

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m3taL

Reaction score
I'm close to wanting to play with electric brewing to be able to do stepped mashing and make a Brewy clone style rig

Iv got an older electric element there not sure of the age, it's 2400w also been looking into a 3000w Bend yourself style.

But what I don't know is do they die out slow or just go pop??

How do you guys who electric brew find 3000w in 30 odd litres of wort??? Iv got 16a circuits at home, also have 4 a grades who owe me a few favors at work so a 25a point could be popped in easily. So maybe a 4500w element would be a better investment to control heat more rapidly.

Pid, plc, all quite easy when you work in an electrical workshop.....

I'm at the point where I spend nothing and keep doing what I do....... OR.......... Go nuts and make brew days too easy :) no more uh **** I'm out of gas..... Or pop do I have enough gas to finish this brew.

Then there's holding mash temps over winter... Easy as **** on 40c day 8c day not so much.

Mind boggles!!!!!!!!

Build an electric HLT, and Electric HERMS or RIMS and a gas kettle with maybe an over the side element for a kick. Easy as.

I think you'll find 3000w in that volume will be overkill. I run 2x 2400w in 55L pre-boil and have a more than rolling boil. I only run 1 element when I do a single batch.

Cheers

The infamous KK 2200W screw in element boils 30L but not rolling unless you can insulate really well.

King Brown Brewing said:
Build an electric HLT, and Electric HERMS or RIMS and a gas kettle with maybe an over the side element for a kick. Easy as.
I dont want to go that fancy, i like the idea of a 3v but dont have the space, im thinking somthing like big nath's recirc BIAB setup.

my 2 ring burner wouldnt need the kick heh.... she boils wort from mash to boil in about 10 mins...... but its more the gas that gives me the shits cos its my bbq bottle etc etc.... $60 for another bottle or put that 60 into a electic build......

NickB said:
I think you'll find 3000w in that volume will be overkill. I run 2x 2400w in 55L pre-boil and have a more than rolling boil. I only run 1 element when I do a single batch.
Cheers Nick thats what i needed to know, what kind of elements are you running???

seemax said:
The infamous KK 2200W screw in element boils 30L but not rolling unless you can insulate really well.
i reckon a 3000w would just perk the boil that bit quicker too..... iv got a deadicated 16A in the shed

the old camping mats trick would be a good idea for insulation, wish i could do it with gas but i think they would burn quite quickly

m3taL said:
I dont want to go that fancy, i like the idea of a 3v but dont have the space, im thinking somthing like big nath's recirc BIAB setup.

my 2 ring burner wouldnt need the kick heh.... she boils wort from mash to boil in about 10 mins...... but its more the gas that gives me the shits cos its my bbq bottle etc etc.... $60 for another bottle or put that 60 into a electic build......

Cheers Nick thats what i needed to know, what kind of elements are you running??? m3tal,i will be using 2x kmart kettle elements $8.00 each in my build.
see "the home brew forum.co.uk" the Tesco kettle element build,posted by BigYin.
some pics of my rig are in Big Naths post...pid newbie ....cheers...spog....

I have a 3600W element in my Kettle and it gets 40L bubbling like a hot tub.

I can hold 3600w just in guessing it will trip just to annoy me 3000w should get 28l going on the roll which I could hold on the 15a point in my garage.

Iv got an old 2400w one there but I'm not sure about it so I'm going to just buy a new 3000w one........

Iv pondered kettle elements but I'd rather spend the dosh on a 60$ element like a bend your self or similar.

m3taL said:
Cheers Nick thats what i needed to know, what kind of elements are you running???
I have 1 of the Stove Connection 2400W in my HLT, and two in my kettle.

Cheers

Back