Electric brew pot controller

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hangover68

Reaction score
Just setup a 40ltr pot with a 2200w element and tap and thinking about what i will use as a controller.
Thinking about an inkbird for a brew fridge and wondering if it would be suitable for the brew pot as well ?

But what temp will you set it to?
You want a continuous vigourous boil.
It can't get any hotter than a boil.

Do you want to control mash temp or just boil?

What type of system is this,
Multiple vessels , Hot Liquor Tun, Mash Tun and kettle
or
Single vessel system.
What volume are the vessels/vessel and what sized element for heating?

I think you'll find an itc will cause a fair bit of overshoot as it's just a simple hysteresis controller and depends on how quick your thermostat is to react. I used an early itc reflashed with a pwm algorithm, but you can find the original itc's any more so not really an option. So that means something with a pid controller if you want decent mash control, which probably also means ssr's etc. So if you don't want to go that route then perhaps a blanket would be a better solution.

Personally I've just built a new control box with a raspberry pi and 3 ssr's. Not a large amount of coin but it is a fair amount of stuffing around. This is for a 1V RIMS system with a mash basket.

I can get away with not using a controller for my simple system but i'm wanting to set up a fridge for temp controlled brewing so figured i would kill 2 birds so to speak.

I think you'll find an itc will cause a fair bit of overshoot as it's just a simple hysteresis controller and depends on how quick your thermostat is to react. I used an early itc reflashed with a pwm algorithm, but you can find the original itc's any more so not really an option. So that means something with a pid controller if you want decent mash control, which probably also means ssr's etc. So if you don't want to go that route then perhaps a blanket would be a better solution.

Personally I've just built a new control box with a raspberry pi and 3 ssr's. Not a large amount of coin but it is a fair amount of stuffing around. This is for a 1V RIMS system with a mash basket.
Just collecting the stuff to switch over from a flashed STC1000+ to CraftBrewPi myself.

Hi Wobbly74,
Just having a look over your pics, have you earthed the metallic side of the box?
I can see you’ve got some 240V components mounted to it, so I cannot stress enough that it needs to be earthed for your safety.

Hi Wobbly74,
Just having a look over your pics, have you earthed the metallic side of the box?
I can see you’ve got some 240V components mounted to it, so I cannot stress enough that it needs to be earthed for your safety.
Indeed - since this pic I've earthed the 240v ground against the front panel. I've also unwired the voltage regulator as it didn't last long with my 3300w element despite being advertised as a 4000w regulator :/

Indeed - since this pic I've earthed the 240v ground against the front panel. I've also unwired the voltage regulator as it didn't last long with my 3300w element despite being advertised as a 4000w regulator :/
Nice one! I like your agi too.

First run with the new controller and the ghetto mash agitator today. Bit of fine tuning needed on each. Temp correction on the controller and maybe a different paddle design on the agitator. Same efficiency as usual (88% mash efficiency on 4.8kg grain) but no manual stirring which was nice.

First run with the new controller and the ghetto mash agitator today. Bit of fine tuning needed on each. Temp correction on the controller and maybe a different paddle design on the agitator. Same efficiency as usual (88% mash efficiency on 4.8kg grain) but no manual stirring which was nice.

Whats the difference between non-stirred vs stirred?

Back