Elbow Piece For Kettle Pickup?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Acasta

Bro Member
Reaction score
I'm planning some updates to the brewery in the near future and I'm stuck on the idea for a kettle pickup.
I like the look of the skin fitting and bent copper, however I don't have any copper off cuts and I'm not really confident in bending it in the first place.
How does a elbow piece facing down sound? Servers a similar purpose by taking from the side and would be easy to install.

Like this:
Elbow_facing_down.jpg

P.S. Drawing in paint is awesome.

I'd love to see some other people's example. Picture can say 1000 words.

just get a cheapo 90 Degree Elbow 1/2" BSP to 1/2" tube compression fitting and stick a straight bit of copper in there.

Problem solved.

If this is for that SS 100L pot you just beat me to ;) I'd go all stainless and get a beerbelly deluxe pickup to keep the bling going

Haha nah I'm keeping her aside for now. This is for a 50L aluminium pot I have.

PracticalFool, what advantage do you see in doing that over the elbow facing straight down?

Stainless steel right angle ... pointed straight down as close as possible to the bottom ... add some extra all-thread cut to size if needed.

With a good whirlpool and whirlfloc or similar you can basically drain most of the wort (easier for since my 80L pot is 46cm wide) without much trub.

you can slant the tube to one side, all the pics are like that! lol... whirlpool?

+, A straight elbow may or may not reach the bottom of the kettle. Well, in my keggle it won't, straight bottom pot, I guess it will.

One definite thing thats popping into my head, huge opening of simple elbow might cause a super suck that pulls the trub in?! I guess its do and see!

Stainless steel right angle ... pointed straight down as close as possible to the bottom ... add some extra all-thread cut to size if needed.

With a good whirlpool and whirlfloc or similar you can basically drain most of the wort (easier for since my 80L pot is 46cm wide) without much trub.
I'm pretty anal when it comes to trub, so I use a hop bag the size of my pot and when using a cane to siphon I put all the way to the bottom and get about 500ml trub then clear wort comes through till the end. Sounds like what your pickup does, and hopefully what mine will do haha.

you can slant the tube to one side, all the pics are like that! lol... whirlpool?

+, A straight elbow may or may not reach the bottom of the kettle. Well, in my keggle it won't, straight bottom pot, I guess it will.

One definite thing thats popping into my head, huge opening of simple elbow might cause a super suck that pulls the trub in?! I guess its do and see!

Thats what I asked haha, because everyone else does it but I don't understand why. I do have a flat/curved up pot and I think it may work well.
You mentioned the large opening of the whole which I was also concerned about. I guess If I fit it and have problems I can always go back to your original idea. I was even considering using a large hose piece on the end as a short tubing type thing.

can always stick a 1/2" straight compression fitting (chrome plated) into the elbow later and a piece of copper if it came to that! I bought an extra FB while I was down ther and will setup the new kettle with one.

If you are dealing with a male thread on the inside, then you could simply use:

elbowff_thumb.gif

Or if your tap/hole is a little higher

elbowmf_thumb.gif

Really helps with whirlpooling and draining from my experience.

If these are not long enough, than compression fitting as PF said, is the next option IMO.

OR, straight compression on back of tap and bent pick up tube round to the corner of the pot.

Cheers

yep, the reason why I'm ditching my surrent kettle to HLT duties is that I can't fit a pickup to it :(

If this is for that SS 100L pot you just beat me to ;) I'd go all stainless and get a beerbelly deluxe pickup to keep the bling going

fitting the pieces is a doddle if you have the right tools eh mate?

@ Acasta - invest in a carbide tungsten hole saw thingy... eats through SS like the proverbial hot knife, go slow, spray water almost constantly to keep the bit cool.

Offer still stands for the HLT too if you dont wanna fork for the bits and pieces, bring em round and will fit it all in no time. Ive even got some spare copper if you need it.

:icon_cheers:

Yob

If you are dealing with a male thread on the inside, then you could simply use:

View attachment 53164

Or if your tap/hole is a little higher

View attachment 53165

Really helps with whirlpooling and draining from my experience.

If these are not long enough, than compression fitting as PF said, is the next option IMO.

OR, straight compression on back of tap and bent pick up tube round to the corner of the pot.

Cheers
I will probably go with the second one, locknut and hopefully fit through with a ball valve on the other end. Are you saying that this method, or the tube bent around method is better for whirl pooling and draining?

@ Acasta - invest in a carbide tungsten hole saw thingy... eats through SS like the proverbial hot knife, go slow, spray water almost constantly to keep the bit cool.

Offer still stands for the HLT too if you dont wanna fork for the bits and pieces, bring em round and will fit it all in no time. Ive even got some spare copper if you need it.

:icon_cheers:

Yob

Thanks Yob I really appreciate the offer! I've got a mate who claims to have all the gear to get it all done. But he can be a bit all talk, so when he fucks up Ill be over yours with a few brewskies!

The right tools dont account for shit if you dont know how to use them correctly. I'd be still burning the flesh from my hands siphoning if you hadnt drilled that hole for me yob. :icon_cheers:

I'm planning some updates to the brewery in the near future and I'm stuck on the idea for a kettle pickup.
I like the look of the skin fitting and bent copper, however I don't have any copper off cuts and I'm not really confident in bending it in the first place.
How does a elbow piece facing down sound? Servers a similar purpose by taking from the side and would be easy to install.

Like this:
View attachment 53160

P.S. Drawing in paint is awesome.

I'd love to see some other people's example. Picture can say 1000 words.
This is exactly what I have in my 40L crown urn and it works great.

I havn't seen any pics yet fellas. Where's your Bribe spirit?

I hope you're as surprised as me that I got my ass up off the couch and took these photos ;)

IMG_5100.jpg
IMG_5103.jpg
IMG_5104.jpg

haha thanks Parks! Whats the clearance on that? Looks good.

Or u use tge elbow on the under side and make a bottom draining mlt. No wastage. I love mine

Latest posts

Back