Efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geneabovill

Reaction score
So I'm getting a consistent into the fermenter efficiency of 76.45%. Is this good? Not sure what steps I can take to improve this. FYI, I'm BIABing in a 60ltr kettle. Dunk sparging and using about 8kg of grain for a 30ltr KO.

So I'm getting a consistent into the fermenter efficiency of 76.45%. Is this good? Not sure what steps I can take to improve this. FYI, I'm BIABing in a 60ltr kettle. Dunk sparging and using about 8kg of grain for a 30ltr KO.

76% into the fermenter is pretty good. What sort of pre-boil efficency do you get? around 85% im guessing?

I wouldn't bother trying to improve it, your getting consistent results which is the #1 important thing. If you start messing with your process then you'll loose that consistancy.

Preboil is about 65%. I get a lot of evaporation (6l p/h), so I tend to mash/sparge with a lot more water than most people. I should also mention that I will generally boil for 90min.

Preboil is about 65%. I get a lot of evaporation (6l p/h), so I tend to mash/sparge with a lot more water than most people. I should also mention that I will generally boil for 90min.
uhhh, pre-boil efficency should be higher not lower. Boil off doesn't effect efficency as the measurement takes both gravity and volume into account. The difference between pre-boil and into fermenter are a result of be any trub losses you have with your system.

I'm with Glen, if you're getting a consistent 76% in to the fermenter I wouldn't change a thing.

I don't buy into the whole super-high efficiency thing as I don't think it is that relevant for home brewing* (this is MY opinion and I am in no way shape or form speaking for anyone else). Efficiency is far more important for commercial breweries where reduced efficiency costs a lot of money. On a home brew scale it makes bugger all difference.

*It only becomes relevant if you're running at <65%, if you're up at 75% keep doing what you're doing.

Flame suit on.

JD

Perhaps I calculated wrong, then. Into fermenter is definitely 75ish%. Thanks or the feedback. FYI the beer tastes great.

Reduce Loss to trub is one way and something i really have to do
At the moment i have cut my pickup tube right back and have 7.5L loss to trub because i was having too much trub getting into my fermenter
I need to fix this, as well as my process to help compact/cone the trub because the cost is getting close to about 20% extra on brew day
I use about 5.5kg for 1.048 into 20L FV but still manage about 65% (Well thats what i tell myself )

Perhaps I calculated wrong, then. Into fermenter is definitely 75ish%. Thanks or the feedback. FYI the beer tastes great.

Post your recipe, gravity and vols. I'm thinking something doesn't addup.

This (and the related article) is a good read: http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title...ouse_Efficiency

However, what I find especially useful is the "Efficiency-Troubleshooting-Spreadsheet" (linked under the "Calculating Efficiency" heading) it's very detailed but also quite easy to use (not totally sure if it can be directly applied to BIAB, but it's worth looking at).

HMAS Endeavour

30 litres
All Grain
1.052OG→1.011~FG→5.3%ABV 30 IBU 7.1L SRM
Yeasts
10 grams
US-05 - Safale US-05
Fermentis (Ale) 10 grams

Fermentables
7.90 kilograms
Pilsen44ppg, 1L 6.6 kilograms 84%
Pale Ale46ppg, 35L 0.7 kilograms 9%
Munich (Light)33ppg, 10L 0.31 kilograms 4%
Wheat37ppg, 2L 0.29 kilograms 4%

Hops
53 grams
Magnum13%, Pellet 25 grams 47%
Amarillo9%, Pellet 14 grams 26%
Galaxy14%, Pellet 14 grams 26%

1 step infusion
70 minutes, 33.80 litres
StrikeTarget 67C 24.71 litres
73C 1 hour
Infusion 1
Target 72C 5.00 litres
100C 10 minutes
Sparge 9.08 litres 77C

Boil
90 minutes, 36 litres
Magnum hops
13%, Pellet 25 grams
60 minutes (+30)
Amarillo hops
9%, Pellet 7 grams
10 minutes (+80)
Galaxy hops
14%, Pellet 7 grams
10 minutes (+80)
Amarillo hops
9%, Pellet 7 grams
2 minutes (+88)
Galaxy hops
14%, Pellet 7 grams
2 minutes (+88)

Ferment
14 days @ 17C

just leave it if you get to high efficiency I have been lead to believe you can start extracting tannins and other things you dont want in your beer. I get about 75% and never looked to improve it. Whats the saving $1-2 a brew?? is it worth taking the time to try to improve it?

I dont think so

The way I see it, efficiency is important for two reasons.

1. If you are getting low efficiency (which you are not) then there is likely something you need to improve in your processes so it is a good indication that you should examine your methods.

2. If you are getting OK-good efficiency (which you are) then it is simply a number that enables you to either develop your own recipes and know what to expect (numbers wise anyway) or translate someone else's for your system.

The only thing better than good efficiency is consistent efficiency.

You have both. It's not a dick measuring competition, be happy!

Latest posts

Back