Efficiency

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourlambs

Reaction score
If I reserve / put aside 4 litres of my calculated mash and sparge water, and use it as ice to cool the wort post boil, does this affect my efficiency %?

If it does, what is the theory here, less available water to extract sugars?

Note 23 lt batch.

Thanks
Phil

Probably, yes, less water makes it harder to extract all the sugars
How much less is going to depend a lot on your process, more info would help you get a better answer.
Mark

65’c for 60mins

Attachments

• 073B4DB1-C078-48B9-A809-39FED79041C2.jpeg
    073B4DB1-C078-48B9-A809-39FED79041C2.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 13
Hey Phil,

4L (kg) of ice isn’t going to do much to bring down the temp of 19L of boiling wort. It might bring it down say to 50 degrees (at a guess), but you’re still a long way off pitching temps.

Are you also going to chill the wort with a chiller of some sort, or just hoping the ice will get you close enough?

It will affect your efficiency, but how much depends on a whole host of things (mash temp, pH, grist size, mash length to name a few). I’d be less concerned about the efficiency losses than the potential risk of having your wort sitting above pitching temp for any significant length of time.

In my opinion there’s only 2 real options for getting wort to pitching temps. 1 is rapid chill with a chiller of some sort, or 2. The no chill method.

As Mark said, a bit more information would be helpful. That way some more targeted advice can be given.

JD

Latest posts

Back