Efficiency Increases

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren

Beer Dog
Reaction score
Hey,
On the weekend i did a double batch.
Mashed 30 kilos of pale malt. Collected the first runnings (~60 litres) and made a barley wine 1.080 SG. Whilst the barleywine was boiling I added more water to the grist and allowed to mash for about 1.5 hours.
Collected the wort from this "second" mashing. Got 65 litres at 1.045. I cheched the gravity of the final runnings at the end of my sparge (kettle full) and it was still coming out at 1.030.

By doing a second beer with one batch I grain, my efficiency has gone from around 70% upto around 85-90% or am I calculating this wrong?
cheers
Darren

Not sure if your calcs are right or not darren and iam not about to go and check them for ya as your just as capable as anyone in that department.
What i will say is over 100 litres of beer brewed at home in one day is a lovely effort. :chug: :chug:
Top work

Kashmir
Jayse

30KG!! :D
Now that's something I'd like to see.
Obviously you aren't using a manual mill like mine, otherwise you'd look like Popeye!

tangent said:
30KG!! :D
Now that's something I'd like to see.
Obviously you aren't using a manual mill like mine, otherwise you'd look like Popeye!
[post="87112"][/post]​
Two mash tuns and the mill is a motorised valleymill

Hi Darren

I calculate that you collected about 125 litres of 1.062 wort, which would be about 85% efficiency for 30 kg of pale malt.

Nice effort on using over a full sack for a brew!

Cheers
MAH

Latest posts

Back