Efficiency Help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vlad the Pale Aler

Cereal Killer
Reaction score
Can anyone check these figures, I'm not too good with computer programs, which is probably why I am sceptical about the efficiency figure that I have come up with.

total water 62l
total runoff 58l ( left to drain overnight)
800gms amber
900gms crystal
300gms carafoam
6.5kgs maris otter
1.044 corrected out of the tun

approaching 100% eff. surely not?

left to drain overnight? yick, bacteria city in there

ttl runoff 58L, hmmm call that 58*.85 = 49l post boil which then makes the OG 44/.85 = 52

At 75% eff I would expect to get about 215 * 8.5 / 49 = 1037

Jovial Monk

Drained overnight into a sterile air locked fermenter, done it many times, and it helps to drop crap out before transfer to the kettle.

Yep, pretty close to 100%. I make it 97% but I didnt look up the actual yield of amber etc.

You are in guru territory now. Only time I got close to that sort of efficiency I had miscounted and put an extra kg of base malt in there.

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
water 62l
total runoff 58l ( left to drain overnight)
800gms amber
900gms crystal
300gms carafoam
6.5kgs maris otter
8.5kgs of grain only absorbing 4 litres of water? Sounds odd to me even if it was drained overnight. Most calculations would be around 8.5 litres of water being absorbed.

Vlad,
If you dont mind, I think I'll pinch that idea!

Vlad the Pale Aler said:
Drained overnight into a sterile air locked fermenter
Vlad/Tony

I don't often agree with the Monk, but I reckon he's got a point. It doesn't matter if your air-locked fermenter is sterile, if what you are draining into it is not.

In the mash you will have lactic acid bacteria. These will drain into your sterile fermenter along with the wort and can produce lactic acid from the sugars, which can be sour and stinky.

IMHO it's best to boil the run-off as soon as you can.

Cheers
MAH

Latest posts

Back