Efficiency Disaster

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ross

CraftBrewer
Reaction score
Just mashed my 10th AG in 6 weeks & was getting a little too confident - First 9 hit nearly all my targets within 1% - & the end product, so far, has exceeded all my expectations...

The 10th was a stout with an estimated OG of 1085 The grain bill was 8.4 kg with an extra 1.2 kg of specialty grains that I cold steeped for 24 hours (liquid poured into boiler & grains added to mashtun just before sparging). This was the biggest grain bill I've done, but all seemed to go well, except that I miss calculated the batch sparge water volumes & the second sparge was a fair bit larger & warmer than the first & I ended up with an extra litre in the boiler.
I was going to boil a little longer before making my hop additions, but a check of the preboil OG showed I was spot on the money (all measurements done at 18c). So guessed I'd had a really efficient sparge & continued as usual.
The final wort was an extra litre as expected but the OG was 1070 - 15 points off the mark & the wort though dark, was not the jet black I was expecting.

I'm guessing I lost something with the cold steeping, but can't figure how my preboil OG of 1058 was Ok - I took sample just before the boil & it was well stirred, but I'm guessing must have got a rogue sample? Any other ideas??

Ross

I have had the same hassle with pre-boil volumes where I am sure my pre-boil SG says it will be right, but it has come out low. The main error seems to be the actual measurements of volume not being accurate enough.

The other one is the temperature of the wort when you measured the SG. Did you temperature correct it?

Cheers
Pedro

Gulf Brewery said:
The other one is the temperature of the wort when you measured the SG. Did you temperature correct it?

Cheers
Pedro
[post="54601"][/post]​

Pedro, as i said, all OG done at 18c (checked with temp probe) - got me beat...

Ross said:
Gulf Brewery said:

Cheers
Pedro
[post="54601"][/post]​

Pedro, as i said, all OG done at 18c (checked with temp probe) - got me beat...
[post="54603"][/post]​

Ross

Finally got to look up the chart for temperature corrections. Assuming your hydrometer is calibrated at 20C, then the correction for 18C is to subtract less than 1 point. Doesn't hep you at all.

Cheers
Pedro

Back