Effed Up Black Stuff In Cider After 2 Weeks

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leevalentine001

Reaction score
Hello,

I've been brewing a ridiculous amount of cider lately (like, a lot). One of the batches was plain apple, nothing fancy, but I mixed up 500ml of boiling water with 3 teaspoons full of vanilla paste and divided it up evenly in all of the bottles.

So there was only 2 bottles (2L) of this stuff left and my old man wanted one. I went to the fridge and one of them was fine but the other had some weird looking black dots and a lot of residue floating around the bottle.

I don't know if it's moldy or if it's just from the vanilla paste. Only seemed to happen to one bottle out of a 17L batch.

Anyway, here's some photos:

black-floaties.jpg

floaties.jpg

Any ideas?

Looks like Vanilla paste to me. Mould is usually grey and floats on the top.

Doubt it would be mold. Most like Vanilla paste or some other form of crap that's floated down to the bottom with the yeast.
My guess would be that mold most likely wouldn't grow and sink to the bottom, also if you have bottle conditioned the alcohol and little/no oxygen present would prevent mold.

OT: what ciders have you been brewing? what are the results like - would love to make some - recommend any recipes?

Ive put down a couple of Cider and Beer brews recently containing vanilla paste and have had the same result. My assumption is that the black bits are actually pieces of the vanilla bean that is in the paste/extract - did you see any black bits when you mixed the paste with the boiling water?

PS - how did you find the result from the vanilla paste? Was the vanilla flavour obvious? I used half a small container of vanilla paste mixed in with the primary fermenter (23L) and found it to be not so strong... I may try your method next...

Cheers

I've made a few but im far from getting them perfect. I've done 2 batches with vanilla. One was adding the solution to the wort, which was a very subtle flavour. The other was adding the solution to the bottles (evenly divided 500ml of vanilla paste in water with 17 litres of cider). The latter had a rich vanilla taste. I have also tried adding fresh squeezed lemon juice and strong tea to the wort which also came out pretty nice. The recipe is not mine but is on the forum somewhere if you search for cider in the recipes section. Im posting from my phone, otherwise id search for it for ya.

Wanna try cinnamon next. Then cinnamon and vanilla combined. Then maybe take a shot at an elderberry cider.

Looking at $3000+ of dental work after an accident on NYE so I have to budget a bit smarter at the moment. Brewing / drinking may have to wait a while! :(

Looking at $3000+ of dental work after an accident on NYE so I have to budget a bit smarter at the moment. Brewing / drinking may have to wait a while! :(

And that's why you're supposed to use a bottle opener instead ;)

And that's why you're supposed to use a bottle opener instead ;)
hahaha funny you say that cause I do open bottles with my teeth and everyone said id damage them because of it. Ironically the damage had nothing to do with that though. I simply fell forward chin first into a gravel car park.

Latest posts

Back