Effects Of Sanitiser Mixed With Wort?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyatt_girth

Reaction score
Heya,

Dumped a cube of wort (Fresh Wort Kit) into fermenter and pitched a Saf dry yeast, put into fermenting fridge. Began cleanup and realised that I had lost the last bit of sanitiser (brewshield - hydrogen peroxide) that was made up and should have been in the jug ready to be added to a spray bottle. F#!k. It was still in the fermenter - now mixed with the wort :huh: .

Can anyone tell me please if this will have any effects on the brew. I am thinking it was maybe up to a full cup made up to normal instructions. Will this cause any probs for the yeast? I have heard/read that it can actually be added to brew water for sanitation, but at what stage I am not sure.

I realise that H2O2 breaks down to water and oxygen (yeah?) but am just thinking maybe it will go to town on my brew first.

Thanks.
wyatt

by the time the yeast was pitched, the dilution of the h202 by the wort would probably have rendered it harmless imo. Dont stress too much on it.

Was wondering the same thing Wyatt as I use hydrogen peroxide with silver irons to sanitise.

My yeast starter flagon & fermentor is allways still driping with it but have never had a yeast problem yet or better still an infection.

If anything the H202 will create a little more free oxygen to kick the yeast along.

Relax, or Chillax if you prefer.

The guy I buy my hydrogen peroxide off is also a home brewer; he squirts a syringe of the stuff into every brew to oxygenate the wort - Reckons they kick off & ferment much better.
i've often wondered if it would be a good substitute for an aquarium pump, but not tried it myself.
So as les said - relax :icon_cheers:

Cheers Ross

Thanks guys for the reassurance. Had hoped it would be ok and seems that this is the case. Plenty of activity this morning so all is well and I have relaxed :icon_cheers:

Cheers,
wyatt

Latest posts

Back