Effect of Coopers BE1 on FG

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deep End

Reaction score
Just a quick noobish question to those in the know.

Like the heading suggests I'm wondering what effect Coopers Brew Enhancer 1 will have on the final gravity of my beer, the can, as usual, suggests a kilo of sugar, but we all know better than that. However, the can also said a FG of 1.006 in 4-7 days. I'm on day 6 with a gravity of 1.016, would the solids etc in the BE1 bump it up that much?

Cheers

Deep End

BE1 is 600g dextrose 400g maltodextrin. So it will add gravity equal to 600g of dextrose (maltodextrin is unfermentable).

Incidentally, BE1 is the devil. BE2 is a better choice (500g dextrose, 250g dry malt, 250g maltodextrin) but really you should be using dry malt exclusively as often as possible unless you're intentionally trying to dry the brew out.

What type of can did you use?

According to the coopers talking brewing forum (as posted by a Coopers Moderator):

BE1 contains 60% Dextrose and 40% Maltodextrin. Expect a recipe; 1.7kg beer kit and 1kg of BE1, made to 23 litres to finish around the 1012 to 1016 mark. Linky post #2

Sounds like you're in the ball park, give it another 2-3 days in the fermenter then check your gravity again, if your FG is stable over 48hrs then she's done and ready for bottling. I also wouldn't be too worried about what the kit says about time. There are so many variables that affect how quickly a brew will ferment.

FWIW everything I brew sits in the fermenter for 2 weeks minimum before I even think about a sample.

JD.

Back