Eegads! My fermenter smells like White King!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matty McFly

Reaction score
Hey brewers,

I'm just wondering if any of you guys know how to remove the smell of White King Oxy Lift (that's the exact one I used) in your fermenter? I used a solution of half a cup with 30L of hot water and left it for a few hours, then rinsed.

The smell is quite strong and I can't seem to get rid of it. I haven't screwed my fermenter have I?

One other thing, on an unrelated note. Can you brew with empty Bulmers bottles? I believe they may be screw tops. Can I still use crown seals on them or will it not work? A friend down the road has a ton he says I can have.

Thanks guys!

Can't help you with bottles, or removing smell from current fermenter.
I could suggest making a kit beer in it, say K&K filled to 28L then add yeast. The whole fermenter would be covered with some form of beer then.
Ferment at about 24 degrees and after 3 days chuck the lot out? Worth a go?

But next time clean it with Unsented Napisan Solution (Coles brand or Aldi brand cheaper) and then rinse thoroughly.
Leaves no smell and works well. Popular method on here.

Cheers,
D80

maybe try leaving it in sun for a few hours

Yep, leave it in the sun or dump in some boiling hot water and slosh it around.

offtopic: Did you know bleach is a good way to get rid of the heat from chilli from your hands. It converts the hot stuff into a salt.

Fill it with hot water to the brim and leave it for a couple of days and then check. Any flavor/aroma that's going to come off in your beer will also come off into the water. I suspect you might have a slight aroma left afterwards, but nothing that you'll notice in a beer. I'd also be a little concerned with the screw tops as many of them aren't as strong as the crown seal versions. I don't know about the Bulmer's bottles though, so it could be worth an experiment as long as you can cap without holding the bottles!!

fermener - hot water, sun, hot water, sun, rinse and repeat, rinse and repeat you get the idea or just brew a Kit ginger beer in it! :p
bottles - heaps of ppl put crown seals onto coopers twist top stubbies - works fine (but i'd be doing with a lever type capper not a hammer and bang type, shattering a bottle in ur hand is not fun)

Another vote for the sun, then a swish around with boiling water.

Diesel80 said:
But next time clean it with Unsented Napisan Solution (Coles brand or Aldi brand cheaper) and then rinse thoroughly.
Leaves no smell and works well. Popular method on here.
Diesel, I've been cleaning my (now fourth brew) carboy with hot water and soft cloth rubbing, then sterilizing prior to use.

Is this an issue? The residue isn't baked on thanks to the Coopers collar, so do I need to spend more on Napisan?

Thanks.

Sun kills odours better then cutting off your own nose..
Thats if you get a sun down in melb :p

boiling water. slosh it around, just be VERY careful not to burn yourself. a few runs of this should work, and sun for good measure if you like.

Did you check to see if the white king was predominantly sodium percarbonate, unscented, before you used it (as was suggested in your thread about the roadside fermenter)?

If it is, a good rinse and rub with a clean, new sponge until it doesn't feel slimy to touch and a coating with something acidic (like starsan) should be enough.

100% just get napisan (for future). it's the balls. 24 hours in that, flip it and another 24 hours on the other side and shit's fine.

It was 35%, not scented and quite a weak solution. I linked an image of it in my original post, that's the exact stuff I used.

I have it soaking in warm water, I'll just leave it for a while then buy some Aldi stuff.

I'd leave it in the sun but I doubt I'll see it again for another six months. Winter is coming.

I've used that stuff before. Essentially identical to all the supermarket sodium percarbonate cleaning products in terms of performance. Rinsed off the same as the others if used at correct dilution rates.

Rinse more or use less.

A couple tablespoons of bicarb soda, a litre or two of boiling water, shake the bejeezus out of it. Leaves my fermenters smell-free, never had a prob with sodium percarb leaving residue though.

manticle said:
Did you check to see if the white king was predominantly sodium percarbonate, unscented, before you used it (as was suggested in your thread about the roadside fermenter)?
The MSDS shows that it's pretty similar to nappisan. Made up from Sodium percarbonate/carbonate/metasilicate in various percentages.

Arghonaut said:
A couple tablespoons of bicarb soda, a litre or two of boiling water, shake the bejeezus out of it. Leaves my fermenters smell-free, never had a prob with sodium percarb leaving residue though.
Exactly what i do with new fermenters and cubes/jerrys or any fermenters that are smelling a little funny

Back