edit: Making a keggle with 50L swan keg

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Icewind

Reaction score
edit: looking to do BIAB, 23l batches, either 40l urn or make a keggle with my 50l keg as per my posts below.

Nope, it's a little small
my water volume is usually 33 litres, with losses to grain absorption, boil off and trub you wouldn't get much more than 15L out that I'd think
Not to mention you need headspace for during the boil, with foaming up and bubbling wort
Your best bet is to either troll ebay for a cheap 40L Crown/Birko Urn or look around for a legally sourced 50L keg, a 3 ring/NASA/Italian burner and associated fittings

Some people have had success with old copper wash boilers like this one
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Antique-Gas-Copper-Boiler-Malleys-rare-vintage-1940s-green-/251423495141?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3a8a0213e5&_uhb=1

This one looks good too, 42 Litres I believe
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Copper-boiler-electric-/231133501160?pt=AU_Business_Industrial_Industrial_Supply_MRO&hash=item35d0a156e8&_uhb=1

I'm not sure about BIAB, you need to know how it actually heats things up.

I'm thinking it does it by boiling a small amount of water using the steam to sterilise the bottles, similar to a baby bottle steriliser unit. This may mean it only heats up a very small amount of liquid, instead of it being full of water and grains.

If i'm wrong and it does heat up a full volume of water then perhaps you could use it to mash in, however it does say it won't boil and need to use a stovetop.

So possibly could be used as a mash tun, then you need a separate vessel for boiling which is not the point with BIAB. Might be better off doing the usual set up of an esky + kettle/lauter tun etc.

I use a 38l crab cooker from ray's outdoors, BCF have the same ones

They are great! They come with a lift out aluminium strainer for you to stick you bag in

I do 23l batch sizes, and when I'm mashing a IPA with 6kg of grain the pot is full to about 50mm from the top, the strainer is supported by a ridge that holds it about 50mm off the bottom and sides

I wouldn't go any smaller than a 38l pot, unless you reduce you batch sizes to suit

Ok well i have a swann breweries 50L keg. I also see that 55l eskies with drainage on special for $48 at target/big w etc. I am space restricted in the kitchen but can do it outside if I really need to. recommendations on where to go from here and perhaps a guide on how to modify the kegs for use as a kettle etc.? Is it possible to go AG with 2 v? What sort of costs will that involve? (I can see myself making some fairly big 6+ % AG beers and from what i've read BIAB suffers a little in efficiency making the bigger beers harder to do)

ps. Just been dealing with extracts til now basically, but am an avid reader and quick learning.

Icewind said:
recommendations on where to go from here and perhaps a guide on how to modify the kegs for use as a kettle etc.? Is it possible to go AG with 2 v? What sort of costs will that involve?
Yes it is a possible to go AG with 2 vessels, but IMHO you'd be better off going 3v or BIAB.

As far as keg modification, basically all you need to do is cut a hole in the top and put a 1/2 inch hold in the side so you can attach a weldless valve set up like this. Take it to a metal fabrication place and they will more than likely cut your holes for a box of beer. Take them a picture of what you want it to look like and they'll be able to sort you out no worries (google images keggle). You can then fire it from underneath with a burner.

If you want simple, spend the extra few $$$ and grab a 40L urn and replace the tap with a ball valve.

JD

I'd say go BIAB for most beers, and then use the esky for mashing/sparging when you want to do big beers
So a part time 2V, i guess...

ok.. my brother in law is a welder by trade so I should be able to get most of this done quite easily.... Looking at converting the 50l keg into a BIAB keggle. Forgive my lack of skillz in mspaint:
(Will use a sleeping bag or something similar for insulation to keep temps stable without heat)
2yknkvq.jpg

also would it be advisable to install an immersion chiller into the keg or should it be removable? My thinking is if the chiller is installed then there should be no sanitation issues because it will have been sanitised by the boil.

Icewind said:
also would it be advisable to install an immersion chiller into the keg or should it be removable? My thinking is if the chiller is installed then there should be no sanitation issues because it will have been sanitised by the boil.
It should be removable. It will be a pain during the mash. They really need to be as big as possible to be effective and therefore limit your grain bill size and ability to stir the mash. Also you may end up no chilling at times and then its completely in the way. Easier to clean if you can remove it too.

Back