EC1118 problems?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deepregret

Reaction score
So a while back I asked a question on one of the other forums about washing EC1118.
Someone was kind enough to comment the EC1118 is notorious for being virus ridden! When I asked for more info they didn’t respond.
So can anyone shed some more light on this for me?

I’ve just made a mead that should be about 14% and would really like to harvest the yeast (EC1118)

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks!

Probably the biggest selling wine yeast in the world, far from being virus ridden (or any other bugs for that matter) when you get it its going to be very pure. I suspect the author of those remarks needs to clean his teeth with toilet paper, he's so full of shit.
EC1118 is also so cheap that I wouldn't be bothered washing or reusing it, you can be pretty confidant that a new packet is going to have fewer bugs than one that has been used, even if you are washing it.
By the time you take into account the cost of good honey the small amount you might save it isn't worth taking the risk.

Personally I way prefer Wyeast, Dry Mead Yeast. have done side by side between it and EC1118 and the proper mead yeast won hands down.
Mark

Probably the biggest selling wine yeast in the world, far from being virus ridden (or any other bugs for that matter) when you get it its going to be very pure. I suspect the author of those remarks needs to clean his teeth with toilet paper, he's so full of shit.
EC1118 is also so cheap that I wouldn't be bothered washing or reusing it, you can be pretty confidant that a new packet is going to have fewer bugs than one that has been used, even if you are washing it.
By the time you take into account the cost of good honey the small amount you might save it isn't worth taking the risk.

Personally I way prefer Wyeast, Dry Mead Yeast. have done side by side between it and EC1118 and the proper mead yeast won hands down.
Mark

Thanks Mark! Now that is the feedback I was after!

Back