Ebay - Handyimports Stockpots

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have one and I have done two brews with it so far.

They have a welded base (some of the more exspensive ones will advertise pressed from a single sheet of metal, but as I am a welder by trade this does not phase me.)
The finish is a bit rougher than the mirrored finishes you will find in a shop. Has a brushed grainier look.
The lip around the top of the pot is a bit rough looking on the edges but this is because the edge has been reinforced with a second strip of stainless welded to the pot. In trade terms it would be a bit of undercut which really doesn't affect the performance.

Basically you are getting a solid unit (reinforced base sturdy handles etc:) with a few cosmetic flaws that in my opinion don't affect the performance of the product at a pretty bloody good price.

Would I reccomend it? I have a second one on the way that should be turning up today with any luck!

Cheers BC

I found their postage very quick. So if you decide to get some maybe order one first and make sure you are happy with the product which is what I did.

Brad, how is the thickness of the walls and the base?

It's only $100 odd more to get a genuine S/S Robinox 70L pot. Over a couple of years, I think the Robinox is better value.

If money is the big concern why not get a TRENTON 80 litre aluminium stock pot for $121. When I pull my findger our for my Kettle I'm getting the ali Trenton (140L version).

QldKev

The base is your typical half inch aluminium sandwiched between two layers of stainless for even heat distribution.
It is a bit hard to judge the thicknee of the side walls because of the reinforced lip.
However the lid is app. 1mm or slightly thinner and by feel the pot is the same or slightly heavier.
Unfortunately I don't have a micrometer to measure it.

Hope that helps

Cheers

:icon_offtopic: What size pot would you need to do 40L (to kegs) Biab batches?

My rule of thumb is double the size. So I would go 80L.
60L would be min - boil over city
70L would be ok.
80L would rock!

For my 75L ouput system I'm going to build (one day lol) I will be using a 140L kettle.

QldKev

70L would be ok.
80L would rock!

For my 75L ouput system I'm going to build (one day lol) I will be using a 140L kettle.

QldKev

Thanks mate. Yeah im currently using a converted keg. Its too small for double batches, but im going to keep it just incase I end up making a HLT.

Allquip dont seem to sell the 80L version only the 98L. $370 fark.

Thanks mate. Yeah im currently using a converted keg. Its too small for double batches, but im going to keep it just incase I end up making a HLT.

Allquip dont seem to sell the 80L version only the 98L. $370 fark.

I use a 50L keggle and can punch out 40L using a concentrated boil.

I use a 50L keggle and can punch out 40L using a concentrated boil.

Me too... i now do 3V but posted recently on how i used to do double batch (40L) via BIAB in a 50L keggle

Here's the link to my post rather than me typing it out again and going too far :icon_offtopic:

hope you have a big dishwasher to put this sucker in.
sandwich base is good and you shouldnt have any problems with it delaminating
as you dont have to worry about apprentices boiling it dry and the above happening.
For someone that is in the hospitality trade it looks like a good buy.

For those that have one

how good is the fit of the lid to the pot

nice and tight like finger in bum or loose like a ........

I've been using the 70 litre jobby for a while now and am very happy with it. Like Brad C. said, there are a few flaws (mine has a few scratches) but overall I'm very happy with it.

For those that have one

how good is the fit of the lid to the pot

nice and tight like finger in bum or loose like a ........

And Maheel, maybe not that tight but a very good fit.

cheers

nifty

70L would be ok.
80L would rock!

QldKev

Hurry up and pull that finger out Kev, or are you hoping that Santa will do it for you? :)

Hurry up and pull that finger out Kev, or are you hoping that Santa will do it for you? :)

Hopefully she has taken the hint by now; but if a few people whispers in her ear it all helps ;)

QldKev

The 71 litre is the exact one I'm getting for Christmas this year. My wife's Santa's a gem :) Double batches will be a thang of beauty.

Hmmmm 70L or 98L

71L is currently at the welder being modified for a mash tun. Initial inspection seems fine - lid fits well, fairly solid handles, etc. Bargain!

I've spent more at the welder than the pot is worth!! :)

Back