Ebay Grain Mill

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewologist

Reaction score
Hi All,

I moving towards AG brewing and I'm setting myself up with the necessary equipment.

I saw this 'Corona Style' grain mill on eBay and the price looks pretty good.
I'll take my chances with the quality of the product but I would like to know if this style of mill does a
good job of crushing the grains.

Here a link the mill:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BRAND-NEW-CORN-...=item2c5ede98a2

Cheers.

I believe they can be used for milling grain, but not as good as a dedicated home brew mill. might find info by using the search function here or visiting some usa forums.

I would also search 'handy imports' on this forum, some variable dealings with members regarding their stock pots.

Thanks Daz.

I'll have a look at the dedicated home brew mills.

I've read alot of forum threads on the corona style mill. Sounds like with the drill mod it would be pretty quick and with a bit of fine tuning it will mill the grains all right.

Thanks for tip.

Cheers.

A number of people use those mills without issue.
However I'd search around for a Marga-mill, which you can usually pickup for about $50 second hand, but since it's a roller mill it should do a better job of crushing the grain.

I've got a Handy Imports Corona style mill and I would NOT recommend it. Yes it does the job but I really should have just put the $60 towards getting a Monster or simlar. it is very tiring milling 5kg of grain and doesn't feel to be the highest quality.

Most homebrew stores will mill your grain for free - If you are just putting your gear together wait until you can afford a mill that will do the job properly - buy right, buy once.

Cheers Ross

Most homebrew stores will mill your grain for free - If you are just putting your gear together wait until you can afford a mill that will do the job properly - buy right, buy once.

Cheers Ross

I agree with Ross... If you are just moving into AG you probably are not sure which grains you will use the most and probably not likely to buy your grain i bulk just yet.... Just buy your grain for the recipe you want to brew and get the home brew shop to mill it for you.... Once you get to the stage that you want to buy a sack of a particular grain then step up to a mill.... I've done about 10 AG brews now and now thinking of getting a mill but now I also have narrowed down a few grains that I would buy in bulk.

Camo

Didn't hit send on my reply yesterday.

I've got one of the same style. They work and are easy to mod to add a drill (just get a bolt that goes into the end of the shaft). the crush is not ideal for brewing where you need a suitable grain bed as the mill works by shearing the grain not crushing it. It does work perfectly fine for BIAB.

It also has the advantage that it does not need to be set up. Just about any other mill needs to be mounted on something with a hopper and collection container. Not hard to do but clamping the corona onto the side of a table/bench with a plastic container under the output. Saves space as well

If you're using BIAB and aren't planning on changing soon then it's a suitable mill. If you're using a traditional system you may find yourself struggling with the crushing style when it comes to sparging and lautering

Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll wait and save a bit more and get the monster/roller type mill. I don't live very close to a HBS that has a good supply of grain so I will be buying base grain in 25kg lots and will have to mill it myself for freshness. I will have a look at BIAB style brew but already have bits and pieces fur a mash tun.

Cheers again for all the helpful advice.

Maybe Ross should do a AHB special on mills? **Hint Hint**

I can hope lol

I've got a corona style mill. Its probably had 300kg of grain through it so far without a hitch. I did the first 5kg by hand, got sick of that and its been been running off the drill ever since. With the settings right it does a reasonable crush of the grain without too much damage to the husk.

Mine is a porkert brand, which i picked up from a brewstore. That handy imports one you're looking at looks a lot cheaper and doesn't have a cover over the crushing area like mine. I reckon it will throw grain in all directions if you attach a drill to it.

Back