• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
SBOB said:
just remember to add 16.5% for their auction fee :)
Could not work out fees seem to be big admin fees on some auctions this seems to be a quick sale.

Regarding Beer Factory auction, some of the descriptions are inaccurate, so I would strongly recommend either a physical inspection, or better yet, get someone experienced to give you a second opinion on things you consider buying. On the other hand, some of the bidding prices are absolutely insane - even at 500% more they would be bargains.

I believe that this is not the only "brew your own" outfit in Sydney that is currently shutting down (or about to) because they are running losses and had to call in the administrators. There may be more bargains going...

peteru said:
Regarding Beer Factory auction, some of the descriptions are inaccurate, so I would strongly recommend either a physical inspection, or better yet, get someone experienced to give you a second opinion on things you consider buying. On the other hand, some of the bidding prices are absolutely insane - even at 500% more they would be bargains.

I believe that this is not the only "brew your own" outfit in Sydney that is currently shutting down (or about to) because they are running losses and had to call in the administrators. There may be more bargains going...
When did they close the administrator seems to be only one month ago .If you want to lose money big time appoint administrator and auction assets.
The bids are early bids and all was available for sale before auction so items could be withdrawn and what is the cost to get out and they usually charge for the use of the forklift.The owner of the unit may find that getting a new tenant is not easy and can be vacant for a long time ..

When doing ballpark mental arithmetic on the auction prices, think of bidding price + 20% markup. There are auction fees of 16.5% and other fees, such as 1.10% surcharge for paying using cash or credit card, so budgeting about a 20% premium should get you there.

Be prepared to turn up either on Thu or Fri and get your stuff out of there without any help from anyone, if you can't manage that, they'll stiff you with some major charges if you are lucky or you lose your gear altogether. And if you don't pay quick smart, they'll stiff you with more charges.

Also remember that if you buy at an auction, you have absolutely no legal recourse for anything going wrong. Even if the item is described as a double jacket stainless steel fermenter and when you get there it turns out to be an old aluminium brewing pot that looks like the picture, that's tough luck. That's why it's often a good idea to physically turn up to auctions and see what you are buying. Mind you, even then, if whatever you bought turns out to not work, or leak or otherwise not be fit for purpose, you are still out of luck - that's the nature of auctions.

You also need to know the value of items - I've seen people pay $300+ for items that retail at $50, just because they want to be the winners. Of course, if you happen to be in the right place at the right time, you can get yourself a bargain.

SBOB said:
you win the award for dodgiest looking immersion chiller ;)
Haha, yeah. Pretty much my version of Homer's spice rack. Still functional though, I used it as a chiller for my old 100L pot.

Anyway, that's why it's only $50. I'm sure one of you guys could re-shape it into something respectable looking!

Tassie near Hobart (Dodges Ferry), Andale jockey box, $280.

Includes esky, cold plate, tap, 2 types of commercial coupler, Harris reg with JG fittings and 2-line splitter

peteru said:
You also need to know the value of items - I've seen people pay $300+ for items that retail at $50, just because they want to be the winners.
Just watching the auction now and I see that in the case of the Keg King kegs, people are now bidding at a level where the final auction price is higher than retail price that includes delivery. :rolleyes:

peteru said:
Just watching the auction now and I see that in the case of the Keg King kegs, people are now bidding at a level where the final auction price is higher than retail price that includes delivery. :rolleyes:
You called it[emoji109]

peteru said:
anyone get an idea on what the different bits went for (out of curiosity), as now the auction is closed I cant seem to see any of the listings

peteru said:
Saw exactly the same thing at a BOP auction in Adelaide in March. Low pre-bids followed by numpties paying overs for a lot of gear. Frustrating as i had heavily researched and had my eyes on some items. Then a fair bit of it turned up on Gumtree in the days later marked up even higher!

Latest posts

Back