• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've just bid on this pot

This will be the start to my proper full AG Rig please........... B)

Hey Fents,

I contacted the seller of this pot asking, "Are you certain the pot is Stainless Steel? By the look of the photos, it appears as Aluminium. What is the thickness of the pot? And if it's SS, does it have an aluminium diffuser base-bottom? Is there anything stamped on the underside of the pot for identification? Cheers!"

They replied saying they didn't know anything about pots, and just took it from work as it wasn't being used (and that was all they said!) I find that a little disconcerting.

They did snap a photo of the bottom, however:
eBay_Stockpot.jpg

My 30L Aluminium pot I'm using now also has 'Made In Korea' stamped on bottom but without the symbol above it.

Does anyone know what this symbol signifies/stands for? (I'll :lol: if it means SS ! )

I'm not trying to throw you off the lister.. I myself am in the market for 2 pots as well, but looking for 100 or 120L, stainless preferred but aluminium fine. Allquip has 100L Aluminium for just $138 new.. I've heard of others like Warren snagging 120L at Australian Winemakers in Epping for $130 (sale, of course) so where you're at now ($85), is the low-end of ballpark new pricing anyway.

Point is, if you score it for $85 and it is in fact aluminium I reckon you've got yourself a deal.. if it's SS, you've really scored.

Hope helps,
reVox

CHEERS REVOX!

hmmmmm starting to make me wonder...

I reckon if i win the auction i'll go pick it up with cash, therefore if i sight it and i dont think its SS i'll pull a castle and tell him he's dreaming. Seller would have no leg to stand on too if they are advertising it as SS and its really Aluminium...

But if and when i pick it up how do i tell? Im no metal worker...i do know aluminum will be flimsyer than SS..

But if and when i pick it up how do i tell? Im no metal worker...i do know aluminum will be flimsyer than SS..

Imagine Rolfe Harris and his wobble board thing that he tried to make music out of? If the pot can make that kind of sound its not steel when you press on the bottom or sides. It shouldnt be able to flex on any surface - if it does its aluminium.
Cheers
Steve

Imagine Rolfe Harris and his wobble board thing that he tried to make music out of? If the pot can make that kind of sound its not steel when you press on the bottom or sides. It shouldnt be able to flex on any surface - if it does its aluminium.
Cheers
Steve

Edit - but if you start singing Tie me Kangaroo down sport he may think you a lunatic and give you a discount :beerbang:

CHEERS REVOX!

hmmmmm starting to make me wonder...

I reckon if i win the auction i'll go pick it up with cash, therefore if i sight it and i dont think its SS i'll pull a castle and tell him he's dreaming. Seller would have no leg to stand on too if they are advertising it as SS and its really Aluminium...

Take a magnet with you ;)
Should stick to the SS but not the AL

ss is also A LOT heavier. you'll know if its its ss or aluminum when you actually hold it. ss also should have a heavier/meatier sounds to it if you bang it with something.

So im taking a metal spoon to bang it and a really big magnet....guy is gonna think im a looney bin! hahaha

Have a little chew on it :huh:

If it leaves marks on it then it is AL

If it leaves marks on your teeth instead, then its SS :blink:

Cheers
Steve

I don't reckon thats the best guide, I've got 3 S/S pots that are cheapo made that all make that sound - since SS is stronger they can make it thinner (mine are like 1-2mm), whereas all the aluminium pots I've got are really rigid because its like 5 or 6mm thick. I reckon aluminium lacks the lustre that staino has - it usually looks kind of dull, where as staino, even when brushed, looks more shiney. I'm aware that alu does come polished, but i havent seen it so I cant comment. Also, aluminium is a shiteload lighter in weight that staino, and it's also softer. Maybe go to a catering place first and check out both kinds? It's pretty obvious once you see it.

I don't reckon thats the best guide, I've got 3 S/S pots that are cheapo made that all make that sound - since SS is stronger they can make it thinner (mine are like 1-2mm), whereas all the aluminium pots I've got are really rigid because its like 5 or 6mm thick. I reckon aluminium lacks the lustre that staino has - it usually looks kind of dull, where as staino, even when brushed, looks more shiney. I'm aware that alu does come polished, but i havent seen it so I cant comment. Also, aluminium is a shiteload lighter in weight that staino, and it's also softer. Maybe go to a catering place first and check out both kinds? It's pretty obvious once you see it.

yeah fairy muff.....was just going off personal experience. My HLT is an el cheapo aluminium pot with flexes and my 55 litre ss pot doesnt. Best to go off the weight facter Fents.
Cheers
Steve

Re the SS vs Aluminium, if it is not a ferritic grade of stainless then the magnet wont (or will only slightly) stick to it. The metals actually look and feel different, Al has a duller finish.

http://www.graysonline.com.au/lot.asp?LOT_ID=1949727#

ANCER S4BOON; SUPER CHILLER, PROFESSIONAL BEER LINE CHILLER, 2 X CHROMED TWIN BEER FONTS AND 2 X KEG TAPS 860 X 490 X 790MM (AS NEW) ORP$14400 2 YEARS OLD (531579-29)

Auction Closes: Wednesday, 10 October 2007 11:00:00 AM AEST
Starting Bid: A$ 8000
Incremental Bid: A$ 25
Current Highest Bid Needed: A$ 8000 !

Re: Magnet on stainless, it'd have to be crappy Staino for a magnet to stick. The stainless used in most cooking ware isn't that flash.

Weight's hard to compare with out a similarly sized pot of known material. I'd say file it, but the seller might not be real happy about that.

Take it from a guy who's business is identifying different metals. ;)

When you have nothing to compare it with, weight won't help & stainless is non magnetic unless its been worked, so you still won't be positive.
Just try & make a small scratch on the surface with an edge of a coin - If S/S you won't leave a mark, alumuinium you will. That's how I always check :)

cheers Ross

Edit: Great minds Mika - but you type faster

lh.jpg

Here is a toddler sized lederhosen that I won on ebay (for $14.50) and should be turning up tomorrow. It is supposed to be for 2-3 year olds, however I am hoping my 1.5yo (Frank the Tank) will fit into it as we have an Oktoberfest party this weekend.

Edit 11/10/07: Was finally able to sort the link/picture out. It didn't turn up yesterday, but hopefully it will today.

Back