• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Aussie Home Brewer and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or click here to donate.

Ebay, Gumtree and FB Marketplace

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no affiliation etc etc

but have you guys check out "Member id beerspiritsdirect1" on ebay?

Melb home brew store, selling filled 2.6kg mykegsonlegs cylinders for $180 posted. $250 for 6kg. I reckon thats pretty good ay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carbon-Dioxide-...=item4ab3cd59a3

They are not mykegsonlegs bottles (aluminium), they are Keg King bottles (steel). 2 totally different poducts though they basically do the same thing.

cheers Ross

They are not mykegsonlegs bottles (aluminium), they are Keg King bottles (steel). 2 totally different poducts though they basically do the same thing.

cheers Ross

ah woops my bad. bit of a brain fart.

Material does say they are Cro-Molly Alloy though. is that still steel?

no affiliation etc etc

but have you guys check out "Member id beerspiritsdirect1" on ebay?

Melb home brew store, selling filled 2.6kg mykegsonlegs cylinders for $180 posted. $250 for 6kg. I reckon thats pretty good ay.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Carbon-Dioxide-...=item4ab3cd59a3

That guy sold me a 19L corny keg - that was badly damaged on arrival. He's refused to replace it. I did manage to send the lid back to him, and get a nice new one - but the posts are still bent... Whilst second hand, it was listed as being in working order and it was delivered in non-working order, pissing out gas and with visibly bent posts.

I've had issues here, just a heads up.

Also, I bought one of the 2.6kg C02 cylinders through here - came full, perfectly fine...

Yes, steel.

Am I right in assuming that aluminium tanks are superior due to the fact that they dont rust and are lighter?

I do recall when ringing a CO2 refiller when I was looking at an old tank on ebay. He said they dont refill aluminium ones. I somehow doubt that if people are selling them still.

Was this refiller full of it or is there some regulation regarding tank refilling?

Am I right in assuming that aluminium tanks are superior due to the fact that they dont rust and are lighter?

I do recall when ringing a CO2 refiller when I was looking at an old tank on ebay. He said they dont refill aluminium ones. I somehow doubt that if people are selling them still.

Was this refiller full of it or is there some regulation regarding tank refilling?
Al are lighter and don't rust ....

Steel are probably a bit more robust .... if you dropped a steel tank it would dent .. if you dropped an Al tank it may develop a crack .. but then again who drops their cylinder???

If weight and moisture aren't an issue .. go for the cheapest you can find .. either Steel or Al. ..
if weight and/or rust is important .. then pay extra for Al if you need to

Steel is easier to make pressure vessel out of. single extrusion and cheap.

higher grader alloy is used and will weaken over time compared to steel.

In the SCUBA industry there have been some issues with some tanks made from a 6351 alloy. One tank exploded while being filled and took the guys hand. Others have let go in storage. Aluminium tanks despite having a thicker wall thickness than steel tanks (with scuba gear anyway) are more prone to deformation, and as such have a shorter lifespan (fail a hydro test sooner). Particularly when subject to over filling.

Corrosion inside the tank with CO2 being an inert gas should not be an issue. More of a problem with scuba due to air being used to fill and the exposure to marine environments. It should also be pointed out that aluminium does suffer from corrosion, however the surface corrosion actually provides a layer of protection from further corrosion.

:icon_offtopic: i got my keg's from my beer shop no problem's at all and reasonable frieght

I have bought kegs from mybeershop and craftbrewer and one thing I'll say is the mybeer ones have replacement lids (very shiny ones) that have welds on them that rust over time. I'm not metal expert but suspect they've welded the lid pins onto them with a non-stainless steel weld? It's something I'm going to have to watch with these.

The craftbrewer ones have had no issues.

Hopper.

Had to get gas for work today and guess what the new smaller bottles are made out of ....... Bloody fibre glass , dont know about other gas but they had o2 and co2 in them .

Back