Easy Stout Kit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunc

Reaction score
Just wondering what stout kit i should purchase to make a quick easy K & K stout.
What types of fermentables should i add to this kit ?

Cheers

The ESB 3kg stout kit is pretty good. Steep some black malt and/or roast barley for extra flavour. The Irish Ale liquid yeast would make it even better.

Hi dunc,
Earlier this year I used a Coopers stout kit with a kilo of DME and the kit yeast because thats all i had.
I thought the DME would have made it lighter in color but it was very dark still.
A very reasonable beer according to all that tasted it.

cheers

Somebody posted this kit stout recipe a couple of monnths ago on this forum and after 5 weeks bottled its tasting preety darn good.
2 cans Coopers stout, 1kg dark dry malt, 150gr lactose, 200gr brown sugar, safale yeast, made to 23lt , OG was 1062.

Cheers Everyone
Sounds like a pretty good recipe Tallgum , but i put down a Coopers Stout Kit, with 1kg Coopers Brew Booster 1 and 250 grams of brown sugar. Filled to 20 Litres. OG was 1.050 , i expected more but oh well. Hopefully it should turn out ok , any thoughts?

Dunc

I just did a stout:
2 x coopers stout cans
400g rolled oats
250g crystal malt
250g choc malt
50g instant coffee powder
WLP002 English ale yeast

Its come up just as I hoped, creamy with chocolate/coffee flavours

Tallgum said:
Somebody posted this kit stout recipe a couple of monnths ago on this forum and after 5 weeks bottled its tasting preety darn good.
2 cans Coopers stout, 1kg dark dry malt, 150gr lactose, 200gr brown sugar, safale yeast, made to 23lt , OG was 1062.
[post="38588"][/post]​
I know this post is a while old but this is more or less (less the lactose) what I am going to put down this weekend, do you have any records on this brew was it a good drink and what was the FG?

What does lactose do for a stout?

Lactose will sweeten the brew, which maybe required taking the hopping in one can is meant for a single batch, so with two cans it maybe on the bitter side. It would be good to hear from Barfridge regarding his International Roast stout as it lacks lactose and a sweeter may not be required.

nonicman said:
Lactose will sweeten the brew, which maybe required taking the hopping in one can is meant for a single batch, so with two cans it maybe on the bitter side. It would be good to hear from Barfridge regarding his International Roast stout as it lacks lactose and a sweeter may not be required.
[post="64441"][/post]​
Thanks for the info, I will source some lactose. Can I buy this stuff at the supermarket or the HBS?

THat stout is pretty much all gone, but I did get a chance to compare it against coopers best extra stout. My stout was more bitter, and drier by a fair margain. But that was held in balance by the extra bittering. My stout didn't quite have the silky mouthfeel from the oats, as I was too stupid to add something to convert them.

When I first tasted it it wasn't sweet at all, and had a good choc/coffee flavour up front, followed by a nice roasty finish. In comparison the coopers stout was very very sweet, which is something I've never noticed before from it.

So to sum up, lactose may not be required, unless you are deliberately aiming for a sweet stout.

OK - just took some mates thru a partial stout - tastes really good - lots of body and grains.

Morgans Dockside Stout
1.5 kg of Light LME
200gms Dark brown Sugar.
Over night in 5 ltrs of luke warm water steep the following cracked grains:
50 Roast Barley
100 Black Patent
250 Choc
250 Xtal

STrain the liquid into a saucepan with teh sugar and LME.
Boil for 20 mins with 25 gms of Bittering hops( POR or Target)
last 5mins of boil - 15 gms of EKG.
Pour into fermenter with Can of goo.
Use 1084 Irish ALe yeast.
Rack after 10 days to secondary - dry hop with 15gms of EKG for 2 weeks.
Bulk prime/bottle or keg.

Very quick, easy and great stout.

Latest posts

Back