Easy Low Carb Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, I like 65'C as its dead center inbetween 60 and 70'C. Can't go wrong! I stir with a fork every few minutes and then after 10 or 15 I ramp it very slowly up to 72'C and then mash out, sparge and put the liquor on the boil with my flavouring addition if any.

Cheers - boingk

What a shame, I just realised my termometer only goes up to 40 degrees C . :(... now I have to wait until I get a new one :( :(

its a good thing your LHBS shop assistant modified the instructions for you. Mine didn't (this was a while ago) and I steeped in boiling water... tannins anyone?

Barley Belly, I will be watching your posts avidly for typos.

And once I'm pissed I'll possibly go back through all your past posts as well.

I meant AHB for anyone who didn't understand my obvious intent.

come on guys, the question asked wasn't 'Should' i make a low carb beer, but rather, how?

The idea of weight loss being as simple as (calories in < calories out) is way over simplyfied there are so many
other factors to consider.

Since carbohydrates break down into digestible sugars and therefore calories they factor in, and then you also
need to account for stored fats, metabolism, psychology, lifestyle etc.

To understand why carbs play an important role you need to understand the process of ketosis as rt1 mentioned.

Basicly, Ketosis is a state where instead of our body burning carbohydrates it burns stored fat for energy.

You can artificially create ketosis by restricting the intake of carbohydrates focing our body to utilize other energy sources.

Some say Ketogenic diets can:
Drastically reduce cravings for high carbohydrate foods
Encourage dieters to consume fewer calories
Stabilize blood sugar levels
Discourage emotional eating
Increase dieters mental clarity throughout the day
Help maintain consistent energy levels
Help stay satisfied longer after eating, using protein, to curb hunger.

Its not just calories in calories out.

I say if you want to try and make a low carb beer, then go for it.

It would be nice if people just answered his question.

Having said that, low carb beers don't seem to be so much low carb but rather lower carb, but if your going to drink
beer anyway then its a better option.
Well done for answering the question instead of giving him a lecture on how it's shit or a scam and going on to give him dietary advice. And you were well ahead of the times with your knowledge of keto. I know this is over a decade old but I was going through some of the low carb threads and getting pretty annoyed with the usual responses.

Latest posts

Back