Eastern Suburbs Brewclub?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikem108

Reaction score
The last few brew days at ESB Randwick have been quite well attended so theres plenty of interest it seems in AG brewing around these parts. As it stands you can bring in examples of your brew on the last friday of the month after 5pm for appraisal which seems like the perfect chance to fire up some discussion on forming a local brewclub.

Would a super organised USA style club work here or is a casual aussie style appproach more suited?

mikem108 said:
Would a super organised USA style club work here or is a casual aussie style appproach more suited?
[post="88805"][/post]​

Sounds like an excellent idea!

As for how organised it should be, I think you have to be either full-on organised, with bylaws and the lot, or as little as possible. My preference is for the latter, but I would be interested to hear other people's thoughts on the matter.

Berp.

berapnopod
Did you come along on saturday?

We could make our first meeting Nov.25th @ Randwick if theres enough interest. I'll whip up a application form of sorts to get contact details from interested parties.

mikem108 said:
berapnopod
Did you come along on saturday?

We could make our first meeting Nov.25th @ Randwick if theres enough interest. I'll whip up a application form of sorts to get contact details from interested parties.
[post="88834"][/post]​

No, I wasn't there on Saturday. I'll be there on the 25th if I can find a babysitter :)

Berp.

Hi there.

Just thought I'd post my opinion on this and talk about what we do down here.

I guess the level of organisation depends on how many people you have in the club. If your going to have quite a few members then I guess it might pay to run it quite formally. The problem with formalised clubs IMO, is if you elect a commitee and run it as a fully organised club then you get a small number of people doing the work for the majority.

This can be ok, of couse these people voluntee to donate their time but I find the work they do often goes unrewarded and this can turn people away from the club-few people seem to know the work that goes on behind the scenes. This may or may not apply to your club and it depends how active it is but being a member of a different sports club down here I see this all too often. Can you tell I'm on the committee? :rolleyes:

The way we run our informal brewing club down here is simply that-as informally as possible. No extra work for anyone and the load generally gets spread out. Given we only have about 7 people down here in the group so it's easy and managable-but it works.

My suggestion is, at least in the first instance, is to just construct a mailing list of peoples email addresses. Send group emails out to members about events, brew days or tasting with the guidelines to go with it-ie. BYO BBQ, Beer tasting on this day at this location-does that suit everyone-BYO beers for tasting etc.

This allows you to function as a group, make bulk purchases of malt, hops etc without all the unnecessary extras. It works well for smallish numbers.

Another idea is to contact the Canberra brewing club, Melbourne's Wort Hogs etc. Someone there might be able to help out as to what's involved and what they find works best.

Hope it helps.

Cheers, Justin

Edit: 1000 posts :super: Wow-I spend too much time here.

I'm definitely interested. I don't have experience in any sort of club but reckon to start a casual approach might be the go with a view to getting more organised if it takes off. I'd be willing to donate a bit of time to it but as I work alternate weekends and we have a restaurant I also work at alternate weekends AND with a wife 4 1/2 months pregnant I can't promise a whole heap.
I've been meaning to get along to one of the end of month tastings for a while now with no success. I will try to get along to the 25th.

BTW - I'm only doing partials at the moment but I don't think the level of the brewer should matter.

Cheers

Justin said:
Another idea is to contact the Canberra brewing club, Melbourne's Wort Hogs etc. Someone there might be able to help out as to what's involved and what they find works best.
[post="88841"][/post]​
Or the Melbourne Brewers ;)

Our club has a committee and charges $30 year but having said that it is a fairly informal atmosphere. I wouldn't jump into that initially, just get a feel for what people want and then evolve the organisation to go with it.

As already mentioned, a mailing list is good for getting the word around.

How you doing mikem108. Im a local myself so If I can make it I will try to get down there. :D

Sab.

sab said:
How you doing mikem108. Im a local myself so If I can make it I will try to get down there. :D

Sab.
[post="88872"][/post]​

Yeah not too bad, after tasting beers all day at Leons, I had an all day beer fest at the brother in laws on sunday so yesterday was a bit ordinary.
Look foward to sharing some beers with you. :beerbang:

Yeah I'd be in that the only thing is I am 23 and a fairly inexperienced brewer(still kits) so not to sure how I'd go @ it.

Would love to pick up tips though.

How you doing DrewCarey82, Im a very inexperienced brewer myself,but I would like to see a A/G demo,I dont think mikem108 would mind if inxeperienced brewers like us would tag along,allthough I better pm him and ask if its only for experienced A/Gers.

Sab.

All types of brewers are welcome just bring some examples of your efforts and prepare to be converted to AG! See you tomorrow night.

Yep 25/11
Usually Leon runs it from 5-7pm,
maybe grab a pizza from next door.
I'll bring a keg of something from the cellar!

149 Clovelly Rd Randwick 2031 NSW, (02) 9399 8241

Hows that?

map0PCF12DX39DZJMFF3.gif

Back