East Kent Goldings

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What's your opinion of these hops (out of 5)?

• 5 (Yum)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• 1 (Yuck)

• Never tried them

• Total voters
Gee you love a poll Stuster ;)

East Kent Goldings suit the styles I make ,They work for me

Pumpy :)

Gee you love a poll Stuster ;)

Nothing like a good poll, Pumpy. :unsure:

Is the person who voted yuck going to confess and tell us how bad EKGs are? Come on, debate is good for the soul. :lol:

I like those East Kent Golding hops sold by those supplies who take the trouble to quickly pack in a 'vacuum silver foil pack" . which keep in the flavour . ;)

pumpy :)

Love EKG, use em in all my british bitters, though I tend to use fuggles in my IPA (as NSW july casers will attest!) Fresh pellets are great, but not too much can hold a candle to fresh plugs at the arse end of the boil in a bitter. They really are a great hop.
All the best
Trent

Use EKG in my Pale Ale. My most used hop to date.

Dave

Love EKG in English ales - I use it in conjunction with Northdown for bittering, flavour and aroma. Also use it in my wit.

Close call between EKG and Tettnang for favourite hop.

Cheers, Andrew.

A little after the fact I know but I was fortunate enough to visit a place called The Hop Farm in Kent on my recent England trip where they still grow Goldings, and Target as well.

It was great to see a demonstration of the picking, and participate a little and the history of how they used to be done.

It was amazing to see the difference in size and flower density between the two as well, the Target ones were so much more small and tightly packed.

It was a pretty heady rush standing next to the hop bin as they stripped the hops...

You could make yourself a little bag of hops to put under your pillow. Apparently they are good to help you sleep...

Beer wise, they are of course a classic English ale hop but that's been covered here I'm sure...

EKG?

Only one answer for that.

Yum yum yum yum yum :lol:

cheers
johnno

Never had much luck brewing with this hop. Love it, and have had many great beers from other brewers with it, but i've never had much luck. However, im drinking my TTL inspired ale with EKG at FWH,10, and cube, and im really loving it, worked really well. Need to get some more!!

I had the little creatures single batch ekg the other day and loved it, first time ive enjoyed these hops.

just got some of these i'll be using in a nice little english special bitter and wanted to know, as i don't have any other typically english hop varieties, which would be best to bitter with. total IBU will be about 35-40.

i can use the EKG but given they're about 5% i'd like to try and save some so i'm not using the whole bunch in one sitting.

currently, i have:

pride of ringwood, warrior, centennial, amarillo, hallertau, nelson sauvin, galena, citra, columbus, simcoe

any suggestions from experience with any of the above in a comination? or just suck it up and use the EKG?

I think EKG as bittering and Citra + Centennial for aroma works personally.

Probably Warrior, maybe Galena.

Keep the more neutral hops (and they are the most neutral you have) at the start for an ESB and middle it with EKG.

Or suck it up and use EKG for the whole lot.

I'm not sure why Dave is suggesting using your only EKG as a bittering addition & finishing with Citra, Centennial, when you've asked for advice on an English Special bitter. Although this may taste great, firstly there's no point using a low alpha hop for bittering & secondly those 2 finishing hops will give you nothing like an English beer.

POR is a great hop for bittering an ESB (we use in our commercial ESB), it adds a little a spiciness (when used at 30 mins) that goes great with EKG. I'd add your EKG at 15 mins & flame out.
If adding at 60 mins, just use your highest alpha hop if you're looking to economise, as the difference between the hops will be negligible on the final taste.

Cheers Ross

Does anyone have any EKG rhizomes they'll be wanting to offload once the season's over?
I've been using a fair amount lately and wouldn't mind growing my own next season, so I thought I'd get in early to try and reserve a rhizome

thank a bunch guys for your responses.

i might look at POR at 60 and the EKG from 15 and 0 mins. if i get too worried about keeping strict to style, i'll just throw in the EKG at 60 instead.

thank you all!

Yes sorry Fletcher,

Didn't see part about recipe being an ESB and was just looking at what you had. I no chill and find if I use EKG at 45mins it works for me. Some English and irish beers just use ekg alone.
Read somewhere Guinness just use ekg at 30 mins. Being a esb I realise you will want more bitterness though.

dave doran said:
Yes sorry Fletcher,

Didn't see part about recipe being an ESB and was just looking at what you had. I no chill and find if I use EKG at 45mins it works for me. Some English and irish beers just use ekg alone.
Read somewhere Guinness just use ekg at 30 mins. Being a esb I realise you will want more bitterness though.
no worries mate. i bit the bullet and am using EKG for all additions :)

Back