Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Early Hop Additions to AVOID

Discussion in 'Hops' started by bbqzookeeper, 4/1/19.

1. bbqzookeeper

Posted 4/1/19
    So I read this in the Coopers Malt thread, and it resounded with my experience brewing with Galaxy - why mine is so bad (apart from my own faults/capabilities).

Can anyone else shed light on what they would avoid for early addition (bittering) hops, from either a resource or from experience? Might help others, as this post above has helped me.

2. Charst

Posted 4/1/19
    Hops High in the oil Cohumulone are supposed to impart a harsher bitterness. Galaxy can be harsh but Ive done a smash all Galaxy and enjoyed it.

gaijin likes this.
  3. bevan

Posted 5/1/19
    The stone and wood pacific ale clone recipe does with galaxy. If you FWH the early bittering addition it’s meant to be not as harsh but still get the ibu’s you want. Seems to work for me (though a mate found it still a harsh, might have to reduce it a bit more)

4. awfulknauful

Posted 6/1/19
    Different strokes for different folks, we are all individuals with different tastes, I know someone who likes Furphy's

5. kalbarluke

Home Page:
    Posted 18/1/19
    Centenial early in the boil is harsh in my experience. Will never use it at 60mins ever again.