e-Cigarettes, have you tried them? Any recommendations?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amber Fluid

Beer Snob
Reaction score
Sometime ago I tried one of these vapor cigarettes, otherwise known as e-Cigarette. I was pretty skeptical with it at first but after I got over the contraption I took a few drags and thought wow, that is almost like a real cigarette.

It gave me that hit you also get in the throat as you draw back on a smoke. I was really impressed to the point where now I want to buy one. Hopefully this will also open an avenue to give up the real cigs eventually.

Does anyone here use one?... are you a vapor?

I have been researching a fair bit on them but my head is now spinning with information overload. I didn't realise how much people really get into these things. Even to the point that they mix their own "juice".

I found this for only $50 which seems to be recommended from a few people on various forums and if you want the nicotine hit then get some of this. I did also note the warning of handling Nicotine. Sounds like some harsh shit that stuff and just to think that is what smokers inhale.

Anyhow, is there anyone here that can give some general direction or worthy advice as to where one can start with Vaping?

Very interested in this topic. I'd love to give one of these as a gift if they actually work to keep people off cigarettes.

There's an old chinese bloke who gets around the local pub selling these. i have seen that many people get on them, and they love them... for about 2 weeks, every single person has ended up back on the cigs while there $50 e-smokes with all the kit just sits in a corner at home collecting dust.

in saying that, $50 for a fortnight is probably still cheaper than smoking

personally i say go cold turkey and use will power, it's the only thing that worked for me.

Ive just started Champix...again. But as they say quitters never quit.

Good: the cigs are starting to taste like crap.

Bad: So is beer, Ive hardly drank all week.

My wife and I bought a couple of the e-cigs from dealextreme last year for our friends. We were sick of seeing them stand out in the cold and break a conversation just to smoke, so we offered them an alternative. It worked for a couple of weeks but they went back.

My wife and I are non-smokers but couldn't help ourselves to try it too, flavours were red-bull and some tobacco flavour. red bull was actually quite pleasant I thought...

now, a year later they sit in their tin and never get used along with the bottles of juice. not quite the best $15 i spent but it was worth a try...

i have a mate here in town who loves these things in the 7 months he has been using this has not had one smoke, he swears by it

Some interesting comments thanks....

Truman said:
Read this post from amber digits and a few more further on in this thread. he talks about them in there.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/topic/70776-do-you-smoke-cigarettes/?p=1003388
Thanks for the link Truman, I can't believe I missed this!!.. it looks like I voted though :blink:
(lol, JuiceWhore I wonder who would think that name would relate to smoking???)

DarkFaerytale said:
There's an old chinese bloke who gets around the local pub selling these. i have seen that many people get on them, and they love them... for about 2 weeks, every single person has ended up back on the cigs while there $50 e-smokes with all the kit just sits in a corner at home collecting dust.

in saying that, $50 for a fortnight is probably still cheaper than smoking

personally i say go cold turkey and use will power, it's the only thing that worked for me.
I have been smoking for just over 30 years and have given up, short term, a couple of times "Cold Turkey" and have always said if people really deep down want to give up then they will and especially if they are the only smoker in the house.

My fault is that I don't think I really want to give up the habit as such but I'm thinking this be a much cheaper/healthier alternative.

Didn't expect my first comment here to be about this, but maybe try CigRX.

I had to *ahem* temporarily give up alcohol to quit. Not worth it, I know.

I've got an eGo plus a tonne of flavours, mixers, cartridges, atties/cartos etc., I can't even remember what most of the accessories do now. It's all in a box that I haven't touched in a couple of years.

I tried but I could never really get into it. My issue was that I seem to get a reaction from the liquid nicotine - a dirty peppery feel down my throat that I get when I have nicotine gum/mints. I never saw many other people talk about this though so it seems pretty rare. Without the nicotine, you don't get that 'throat hit' that people talk about and it's not very satisfying.

I'm gonna unpack it all and try again in the next few weeks. Surely a little throat irritation is a small price to pay for potentially giving up the smokes.

My advice would be not to get too 'into it' - there are thousands of forum threads on modifications, product reviews, recipes, etc. and I found it could easily turn into a major hobby rather than just do the job of getting you off cigarettes. Get a decent e-cig (don't go for the cheap pencil-like beginners ones), an extra battery, a few spare atomisers, a few flavours that you think you'll like ([url="http://www.juicewhore.com/]Juicewhore[/url] are good), some liquid nicotine and a few droppers and bottles to mix in. Learn the basics, and just use it as you would a cigarette - don't keep it in your mouth puffing away inside all day, just head outside for 5 minutes and draw on it like you're having a smoke break. Just aim to replace fags with an e-cig and don't get caught up in all the other excitement of checking bloody atomiser currents with a multimeter or stuffing pieces of drinking straw in your cartridges or trying out all the new bits and pieces that are constantly coming on the market. This is what I'm hoping to do next time and will hopefully have a bit more success.

Go cold turkey mate. Once you get through first couple of weeks, you'll look back and realise that it wasn't really as hard as you thought it would be. I gave up almost 2 months ago after about 25 years and now spend my ciggie money of brew stuff :) I'm now a pisshead instead of a smoker

[quote name="krausenhaus" post="1016085"

I'm gonna unpack it all and try again in the next few weeks. Surely a little throat irritation is a small price to pay for potentially giving up the [/quote]

Irritation will go away after a few days but make sure you drink heaps of water to keep your throat wet it helps

It does take a bit to get use to but worth I IMO If you have any questions feel free to ask as I've recently started on these to stop me going back to the smokes :)

Back