E-biab Maiden Brewday Pictorial

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iralosavic

Reaction score
Decided to Christen my e-Biab rig with a Dr Smurto Golden Ale today. I have not finished the false bottom, so I worked around it.

In the first photo I have just doughed in, mashed the grain until evenly soaked and clump-free, added my water chemical additions, put the glass lid on and covered it with towels. "Struck" in at 69c and hit target of 66c after stirring. After 30 minutes, the temp had dropped by 1c and by 40 minutes it was down to 64c, so I raised the grain bag off the element and tightened the draw string so that it would remain elevated - the grains were all still submerged. This allowed me to raise back to 66c while stirring and keep it there until mashout at 78c.

IMG_0330.jpg

With nothing overhead to hang a rope, I opted for the next best thing - baker's arm. From the same family as the motorised crane, but with additional thermal resistance, the baker's arm held the bag during the entire "sparging" process.

IMG_0332.jpg

Time for a couple of beers from the keggerator - no good wasting them baker's arms!

IMG_0333.jpg

After I put my non-baker-hand gloves on, I squeezed every last ml of wort out of the bag. Things were going great. Time to test out my new hop spider.

IMG_0344.jpg

Obviously poly-pipe is NOT made out of bakers' arm! Pity my pick-up tube has no filter! Hops in the boil was not planned and my final volume was consequently affected. Steel hop spider upgrade will be next on my list.

Brew-dog keeps an eye on the thermometer for me. Meanwhile I measure the SG of a cooled pre-boil sample: 1.0477. Smack bang on target. This is where I forget to note the pre-boil volume. Oh well.

IMG_0335.jpg

Rolling boil! (Thanks Thirstyboy for the float tip)

IMG_0336.jpg

60 Minutes and a few hop additions later, time to remove the insulation (at least partially) and prepare to whirlpool with pictured kitchen utensil.

IMG_0345.jpg

Let's skip the draining of wort to cube and me getting disappointed at 3x the predicted losses to trub (due to imminent tap blockage) and jump straight to how I used my family fridge to chill the cube. No threats nor sardonic rhetoric from the wife this time. Hmm pretty good brew day so far!

IMG_0348.jpg

Could only guess the final volume - I should really measure out and mark my cubes, but it looks enough to fill a keg and my OG of 1.055 was above expectations, so I'm happy.

Not much else to add - just thought it'd be entertaining for myself and (some) others to have a squiz at my maiden e-biab brewday. Feel free to chime in with hints/tips/random commentary. Cheers

That is not how you chill a cube if what I am seeing is what I think I am seeing. Have you read this? http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...;showarticle=56

I'm not really sure what you mean, because believe me, the cube is now quite chilly lol. After taking the photo, I surrounded the cube with several ice packs to help the fridge cope with the temperature rise and it chilled to room temp in a couple of hours. Now that it's room temp, it's out of the fridge ready to put in the fermenter when I get a chance.

It's not no-chill, as per the article. It's not rapid chill (like counter-flow, plate etc). It's just slow chill, I guess. There was space in the fridge, so I thought why not? Should reduce the extra bitterness from residual heat after flameout.

Oh and what does the e stand for in e-biab?

Electric-BIAB. The system is ran by a single 2200w element. I will be shortly building another temp controller (stc1000) with a 20cm stainless probe attached to a float, so it can take constant readings of the entire mash and maybe, if I find the need to once I have fitted the false bottom, I will use the temp controller to also regulate set mash temps and/or step mashes.

Electric-BIAB.
Chuck out your urns, boys! There's a new and improved BIAB in town!

Good to see the brew-dog is on the case, but. Everyone needs a brew-domesticated animal.

A 40L urn with a concealed element would likely be a better/easier to use system, but I didn't have the cash for one and my 90 year old grandpa said I can help myself to his old kegs, so I grabbed one and built this for under $100. I definitely prefer it to stovetop!

Good one mate ... But what exactly is the float tip from TB? What does that pan floating on top do ?

Truman: I was having issues with maintaining a strong boil with the lid off, so instead of narrowing the opening, which would increase the risk of DMS via condensate return, a floating tin achieves the same end result - less heat loss at the surface and a rolling boil.

A 40L urn with a concealed element would likely be a better/easier to use system, but I didn't have the cash for one and my 90 year old grandpa said I can help myself to his old kegs, so I grabbed one and built this for under $100.
Whatever makes beer is good - more about the "need" to give it a new name. It's BIAB, man. No one will be confused.

I definitely prefer it to stovetop!
Amen to that! I did one stovetop brew a few years back and it accelerated my full volume system plans by about 6 months.

Truman: I was having issues with maintaining a strong boil with the lid off, so instead of narrowing the opening, which would increase the risk of DMS via condensate return, a floating tin achieves the same end result - less heat loss at the surface and a rolling boil.
Ahhh ok. Good idea.

Latest posts

Back