Dunkelweizen recipe?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Pratt

Reaction score
With the database down due to the upgrade I'm looking for a dunkelweizen recipe that someone has made and can recommend.

I've searched the net and read the the bjcp style guidelines so in hoping someone can throw me something worth a try.

Hi Pratty,
The one and only Dunkle I made (known as Unkle Dunkle - for my brother Duncan) was well received I don't have my exact percentages, but the make-up was this;

55% wheat
20% Munich
20% Vienna
5% Special B

Saaz to 20IBU - 60 min only

3038 or 3638 - the only two wheat yeasts I have used

i have heard of that one, ok i will try that out and see how it turns out.

What colour was yours?

Pratty1 said:
i have heard of that one, ok i will try that out and see how it turns out.

What colour was yours?
Colour was definitely at the lower end for a dunkle, browner side of golden brown. I was being cautious with the Special B as I'd read heavy handedness leads to a caramel flavour. Just guessing, about 25 - 30 EBC. Could have upped the Special B for a darker beer as the caramel did not come through at 5%
Must give this another run one day.

the only dunkelweizen I've made was bloody delicious. similar story to mckenry on the lower end of IBU/EBC/ABV.
it went like this:

Original Gravity (OG): 1.044 (�P): 11.0
Final Gravity (FG): 1.011 (�P): 2.8 (actually hit 1.010)
Alcohol (ABV): 4.32 %
Colour (SRM): 16.4 (EBC): 32.2
Bitterness (IBU): 17.4 (Rager)

48.48% Munich I
48.48% Wheat Malt
3.03% Carafa II malt special

1.1 g/L Pacific Hallertau (5.5% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil)

Single step Infusion at 66�C for 60 Minutes. Boil for 70 Minutes

Fermented at 20�C with Safbrew WB-06

Hi Liam,

I recall you posted that a while back, it might of been on the 'what are you brewing thread' and Im glad you have posted it, thanks for that.

I think this one is teh better option > could try it with Wyeast 3068?

Cheers :chug:

Pratty1 said:
Hi Liam,

I recall you posted that a while back, it might of been on the 'what are you brewing thread' and Im glad you have posted it, thanks for that.

I think this one is teh better option > could try it with Wyeast 3068?

Cheers :chug:
I'm sure mckenry's is also delicious. I was just going through a "put heaps of munich in everything" phase when I brewed that one. That phase is still going!

re 3068: I have no experience with liquid wheat yeasts so others will be more qualified to comment.

One thing I can say is that WB06 throws heaps of cloves if fermented under 20deg.

Instead of Pale Wheat, use Dark Wheat for a Dunkelweizen.
Makes a significant difference to the result, for the better.

Pity the recipe DB is down, because Tony's Dunkelweizen is a great recipe.

warra48 said:
Instead of Pale Wheat, use Dark Wheat for a Dunkelweizen.
Makes a significant difference to the result, for the better.

Pity the recipe DB is down, because Tony's Dunkelweizen is a great recipe.
This.

Weyermann's "dark" (isn't very dark) wheat malt has a wonderful flavour that's a bit different than the darker barley malts. Something happens when they give wheat an extra kilning - a flavour you can't replicate with dark barleys.

I use all dark wheat as the wheat content.

EDIT: I highly recommend using a liquid yeast for a hefe. While WB06 will make a good hefe, 3068 will make a commercial-level hefe (it's the yeast the majority of them use).

IMO, WB06 is better at making Wit Biers than HefeWeizens.

Top stuff guys, thanks for the input. I will get a recipe finalised and post it over the weekend. Hopefully tony gets a read of this and can share that recipe, I know he has a top witbier to.

Nick JD said:
I highly recommend using a liquid yeast for a hefe. While WB06 will make a good hefe, 3068 will make a commercial-level hefe (it's the yeast the majority of them use).

I totally agree with the use of liquids. Dry gives you a result, but the liquids really help to nail the style.

Nick JD said:
EDIT: I highly recommend using a liquid yeast for a hefe. While WB06 will make a good hefe, 3068 will make a commercial-level hefe (it's the yeast the majority of them use).

Fermentis themselves do not do a very good job of letting you know this. The comment on their product page for wb-06 says: "The yeast produces subtle estery and phenol flavour notes typical of wheat beers. The choice of Wheat or Weizen bier fans."

There's no mention of Belgian wit bier specifically. Then if you open the spec sheet there's even less info. But having used it numerous times I certainly agree with Nick....my brews have all come out quite tart....nothing at all like a Franziskaner or Weihenstephan dunkelweizen, which I find much more smooth, malty and sweet. That being said, I love the tartness wb-06 imparts, and prefer that to the flavours in the commercial examples I mentioned....hence I'll continue to use it in my hefes and dunkels when I want that kind of taste. You have to try it yourself to decide.

Hi,

This is what i have come up with>>

Dunkelweizen on BeerSmith

OG - 1.058
FG - 1.012
ABV - 6%
Color - 32 ebc
IBU - 18

Malts

Munich Malt - 46%
Dark Wheat Malt - 46%
Carawheat Malt - 5%
Chocolate Wheat Malt - 3%

Hops

Halletauer (4.8%AA) - 37g @ 60 mins

Mash Profile - (20lt Braumeister)

Temp 32/52/66/72/78
Time 20/20/30/30/15

Yeast

Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen - 1.3 lt starter

Ferment at 18c

Thoughts?

The 32C for 20 ... I'd make that 43C for 20. Google "ferulic acid rest" and it's influence on phenolic development.

I'd either shorten the protein rest to 5 mins or drop it altogether.. Yes to ferulic if you like cloves, yes to liquid and yes to including a decoction in there somewhere.

I'd also go 62 for 10, 68 for 40 then 72 for 10. If you're going to step the sacch rest you want to hit both alpha and beta. 66 is at the border for targetting beta which is why it's often used for single infusion. If you mash at 66, just go SI, if you step, make them distinct.

Ok, something to think about when considering the mash rest schedule. may just mash in at 32c for a 10min hydration rest, done this with my previous witbier, then crank up the pump and heat to 42 for acid the rest.

Temp 42/62/68/72/78
Time 20/10/40/10/15

As for decoctions, i have read alot about that and seen a few videos, with the BM it wouldn't be an option however anything is possible. Sure would make the malt character of this style more obvious :icon_drool2:

I don't think you need to decoct a dunkel. That's like adding a teaspoon of instant coffee to a short black.

Not really no but we can disagree on that without the world coming to an end. I think of much of your analogy as comparing EKG to nan's perfume but then I never knew your Nana.

Decoction, in my experience, brings a great character to a beer, including weizens, alts and various belgians.

Soooooo many people use pale wheat and munich malt

WRONG

you wouldnt use Marius Otter to make a pilsner

Dark wheat and pilsner malt !!!!!!

carawheat and/or choc wheat are great additions as well. 5 to 8% carawheat and choc wheat to colour.

You dont need lots of crystal malts because the low bitterness will give you all the sweetness you need. If you want to use crystal malts, keep the usage at 3% or less IMO.

cheers

manticle said:
Decoction, in my experience, brings a great character to a beer, including weizens, alts and various belgians.
Waste of time doing a decoction on a dark beer full of heavily caramelised malts.

Back