Dunkelweizen Kit Recipe Ideas?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leamos

Reaction score
I'm trying to chase down a good kit based recipe for a nice dunkelweizen (dark wheat), something along the lines of adding some choc malt to a wheat kt Cheers

From memory my allgrain uses some choc wheat and possibly some caramel wheat. I do use dark wheat in the mah which you are not going to get in extract, so maybe a coopers wheat some dme and some of the above wheats, 3068 of course. Think i might need to brew one myself
cheers
Sean

I recently brewed a Coopers Sparkling Ale with wheat extract in the style of Dr Smurto's Golden Ale;
and it turned out so good we emptied the bottles in record time;
what about doing perhaps half a can of Dark Ale with 2 cans of wheat extract and some hops of choice.
Might not be the same as the imported stuff, but it would be different.

Or perhaps steep 100g of Black Grain with a full wheat brew and make Wheat Stout!
Now you have me thinking about the possibilities. Wheat Stout laced with Amarillo??!!!

I think I'll tear up my next receipe sheet and make one of these instead.

I would go with somthing like this;

1.7kg Coopers Wheat kit (or other brand)
1kg LDME (or maybe 500g light 500g dark DME)
300g Choc wheat malt (steep)
Yeast WB-06 (dry) or Wyeast 3068 (liquid)

Thanks for the ideas, thinking I might try a fresh wort brew, with similar additions to what you mentioned Samuel Adams. Once again thanks for the input guys

I'd be adding some cara wheat and some munich if you can do around a kg of grain, if less I'd do a combination of choc wheat and carawheat. Choc rye would work as well if it's easier to get ahold of. I'd avoid black or choc grain as it won't help get the flavour just the colour.

I've been working one day a week at a country brewer, so this is slighltly biased. If you have a country brewer shop close by their xtract bavarian weizen with some carawheat and some choc rye would turn out really well. I've been meaning to put that together as a simple brew for the shop but haven't yet.

My dunkelweizen recipe is a full extract one

Coopers Wheat Malt can
Light Dry Malt 750g
Dry Wheat Malt 750g
Medium Crystal (120) 500g
Chocolate Malt grain 150g

Hallertau (4% AA) 20g @ 60 mins
Hallertau (4% AA) 20g @ 30 mins

Yeast: Safale WB06

Steep the Medium crystal and chocolate malt in about 2 litres of water for 30 mins

Bring to the boil and add about 400g of malt and then do the hop schedule

Predicted OG 1049
Predicted FG 1015
IBU 14.1
EBC 30.9
Bottled alc% ~4.8

My dunkelweizen recipe is a full extract one

Coopers Wheat Malt can
Light Dry Malt 750g
Dry Wheat Malt 750g
Medium Crystal (120) 500g
Chocolate Malt grain 150g

Hallertau (4% AA) 20g @ 60 mins
Hallertau (4% AA) 20g @ 30 mins

Yeast: Safale WB06

Steep the Medium crystal and chocolate malt in about 2 litres of water for 30 mins

Bring to the boil and add about 400g of malt and then do the hop schedule

Predicted OG 1049
Predicted FG 1015
IBU 14.1
EBC 30.9
Bottled alc% ~4.8

I want to brew a dunkelweizen extract next. Seems there are only a few extract brews around. This likes all right. Any one got any suggested recipes they rate?

I've just bottled my first extract dunkel. It tasted good out of the fermenter so I have high hopes after it has some carbonation.
Here's my recipe:

3kg Briess Bavarian Wheat Dry Extract
160g Weyermann Chocolate Wheat malt (Steeped)
250g Weyermann Carawheat (Steeped)
300g Weyermann Caramunich Type II (Steeped)
200g Weyermann Carahell (Steeped)

30g Hallertau @ 60mins

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

OG - 1.052
TG - 1.013
Colour - 41.18 EBS
Bitterness - 15.3
Alcohol - 5.15%
Final Volume - 23L

Fermented at 22C, because I wanted to accentuate the banana esters.

The reason for the large amount of steeped grain and variety of them was to increase the wheat to 60% so it was a proper wheat beer, to increase the complexity and also to try and get a lot of caramel and chocolate flavours to go with the banana.
My inspiration in Emerson's Dunkelweizen because when I tried it at Emerson's brewery it was amazing. The banana was obvious from the start, all though not overpowering, and then the chocolate and caramel flavour were beautiful and complemented the higher than usual banana esters.

I've just bottled my first extract dunkel. It tasted good out of the fermenter so I have high hopes after it has some carbonation.
Here's my recipe:

3kg Briess Bavarian Wheat Dry Extract
160g Weyermann Chocolate Wheat malt (Steeped)
250g Weyermann Carawheat (Steeped)
300g Weyermann Caramunich Type II (Steeped)
200g Weyermann Carahell (Steeped)

30g Hallertau @ 60mins

WYeast 3068 Weihenstephan Weizen

OG - 1.052
TG - 1.013
Colour - 41.18 EBS
Bitterness - 15.3
Alcohol - 5.15%
Final Volume - 23L
Looks good. Let me know how it goes when your drinking the stuff ! Surely there is some one that can offer a tried and tested extract brew?

Scroll down the kits and extracts page and look at my post "first go of an extract brew" cascarillo american pale ale.
This was easy to do and worked really wel and tasted good when it started fermenting. Its not finished yet but is going along nicely and smells amazing.

Give it a go i am also just starting to switch from kits to full extract brews and i am confident this will be pretty good.

Scroll down the kits and extracts page and look at my post "first go of an extract brew" cascarillo american pale ale.
This was easy to do and worked really wel and tasted good when it started fermenting. Its not finished yet but is going along nicely and smells amazing.

Give it a go i am also just starting to switch from kits to full extract brews and i am confident this will be pretty good.

*** A dunkelwiezen Extract***

Back