Dunkel Kit Recipes

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCG

Reaction score
Hi

I am planning a Dunkel on the not so distant horizon and looking to see if any one has a good recipe, I am a kit brewer, I am open to anything thing but would prefer kit reciepes. My intial thoughts are around the Morgans unhopped malt blends and steeped grains, with a mix of hops, hallatu, saaz and maybe hersbruker, but I am not sure on quantities of either malt or hops. I am also thinking about a high quality German Yeast Strain, any assistance would be grateful.

Thanks

JCG

Hey JCG,

The dunkel style doesn't really lend itself easily to extract brewing all that well being the main ingredient is german munich malt so a part mash would be the way to go. However you can make up a dark lager of sorts no probs. If you steeping grain its really not much more of a step to actually mash a kilo or two of grain.

Anyway I just saw your thread in passing and noticed no one has given you anything yet so my bringing it back up the top might get a bite or two and a recipe if not i'll hit you with something a little later tonite after I've wound down from work with a beer or five.

Boozed broozed and broken boned.
Jayse

Taking that into consideration would the brew in a bag method be a better way???

JCG

If you are happy to do an brew in a bag brew you are doing either a partial mash or an all grain beer then you can do whatever style you want. :D

There are a few threads on Munich Dunkel around. Here's one.

Thought I'd bring this one back up the top of the list...
Anyone got any ideas for kit based dunkel recipes?

Hi

I am planning a Dunkel on the not so distant horizon and looking to see if any one has a good recipe, I am a kit brewer, I am open to anything thing but would prefer kit reciepes. My intial thoughts are around the Morgans unhopped malt blends and steeped grains, with a mix of hops, hallatu, saaz and maybe hersbruker, but I am not sure on quantities of either malt or hops. I am also thinking about a high quality German Yeast Strain, any assistance would be grateful.

Thanks

JCG

depends how accurate you want to be, or whether just a nice tasting beer somewhere towards the style is the go. One that I've done where i was aiming at an aventinus, was a coopers wheat kit, 1.5kg liquid wheat malt (std amber would work too), 400g steeped crystal (english or a german, but not a cheap crappy crystal! ) 50 grams of caraffa? - for darkening. I did do a wheat kit with the roasted wheat malt partial that is designed for this style, and it was nice but very dry, which didnt suit my taste as much as the one above.

Oh, obviously a wheat yeast is the go - I use Whienstaphan wheat personally.

Just to clear up some possible confusion, pharmaboy is talking about a wheat beer, dunkelweizen. The other dunkel is Munich Dunkel, a dark lager, as Jayse says mainly centred on Munich malt. I'm not sure what beer JCG was wanting to make. :unsure:

Thanks Stuster for clarifying it all, and Pharmaboy, the dunkelweizen recipe sounds good.
It's high on my evergrowing "brews to do" list.

Hi Guys,

I was intially looking at doing a Munich Dunkel as opposed to doing a dunkelweizen. But after a few days of quiet time I got to thinking, how does this receipe sound:

23L
Coopers Barvian Larger
1kg Morgans Caramalt
250g Dark Wheat Malt Steeped 30min
15g Hallatue Hops added 30min
15g Hallatue Hops added at flame out
Saf Larger Yeast.

I have added the dark wheat add a little drieness as I don't want an overly sweet beer. I am open to suggestions.

JCG

Hi

Thanks

JCG

I am a big fan of Dunkelwisen and it was my second ever batch i put down 28/9/06. I bottled it on the 8/10/06 and tried it 2 weeks later. To my disappointment it was nothing like the Dunkel i was imagining.

Its now been 4 weeks in the bottle and has improved a hell of alot! It is not an exact clone of Dunkel but from what i gather the only way to make a proper Dunkel is to go AG.

It however is a very drinkable beer! It is in the style of a Dunkel and quite tasty. I'm am finding myself drinking a couple of bottles every night. I am going to stop soon as i want to see how much further it develops over the next 4 weeks leading up to Chrissy. I will be making this one again.

The Recipe is as follows:

1.7kg Morgan's Golden Sheaf Wheat kit
2kg Morgan's Chocolate Malt Master Blend
10g Saaz hops
10g Saaz hops
10g Hallertau hops
1 Sachet Morgan's ale yeast

Method:
Add around 500g of wheat kit to 4 litres of boiling water. Boil with 10g Saaz hops for 45 mimutes. Add another 10g Saaz hops and simmer for 15 mins. Switch off heat, add 10g Hallertau hops and steep for 2 mins. Add remaining wheat kit and Master Blends, stir to fully dissolve.

Strain off and pour into fermenter and make up to 23 litres with cold water. Once temp is below 30C, add yeast and allow to ferment between 22 and 30C.

Hope this is of help.

Cheers

Bear

Latest posts

Back