Dumping yeast from a conical (modded fermantasaurus)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buckerooni

Reaction score
So I'm planning to dump the trub/yeast in a few days from my modded fermentasaurus ( https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/modding-the-fermentasaurus.98202/ thanks Punt!), having a look at people dumping yeast from other systems on youtube (brewtech conicals) they dump straight into an open container and there is no attempt to create an oxygen free environment.

I'm worried about getting a oxygen bubble ala regular fermentasaurus dumpage.

I'm fermenting under pressure at around 18 psi - can I just open the butterfly value and not worry about oxygen bubbling back into the vessel due to the pressure? I think this will be fine, but just want to check.

Yes. With the bottle removed and pressure in the fermenter you can open the bottom valve slowly without allowing oxygen in.

Hey, Buckerooni, glad to hear the fermentasaurus mods are working well for you. I've done about 4 brews in it since I modded it, and i haven't had any issues with oxygen bubbling back up through the dump valve. I do, however, spray the crap out of the exposed side of the dump valve with sanitizer so there's no chance of infection next time you open the valve. Also, at 18 psi, the the pressure in the head space will probably cause the beer to "tunnel" through the trub in the cone. I've found that dumping as much of the trub as i can before pressurizing helps, but i'm yet to find a reliable way to get ALL of the trub out of the fermenter.
Hope this helps. Cheers.

thanks Punt, I'm doing a very similar thing, I dumped at a few different pressures. Won't know until a transfer how much trub is left in there. still, it's been good process so far.

I have tested the system with pressure, about 5psi and opened the dump valve and no oxygen goes into the FV.

Works a treat to dump yeast/hops when using pressure.

Just out of interest at what stage do you dump your yeast? do you do it straight after primary ferment has completed or do you leave them to sit for a while to help with conditioning?

I just ordered my first conical fermenter and this is one of the questions ive been wondering as you often see advice to leave on the yeast cake for a little while and let the yeasties clear up after themselves.

Latest posts

Back