Dumb Priming Question

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry drew - couldnt tell you, never used them.

bulk prime with $1 per KG white sugar. Next easiest thing to kegging.

Tangent as pointed up my fermentors(4) are booked up fulltime @ the moment.

When using sugar instead of carb drops do the drops flow up from the bottom instead of sticking on the sides of the glass heaps?

Cheers.

don't need a fermenter for bulk priming
just a $20 jerry with a tap

I've never ever used or contemplated using carb drops so I can't make a comment on them sorry.

First brew I ever did I used carb drops.....never again!

Big gassey soft drink bubbles.

I'd rather have a fermenter free to bulk prime with than all full of beer but no way
of guaranteeing correct carbonation for different beer styles. Overly gassed beer can take the edge off alot of hard brewing work and some styles need very little priming anyway,

Bulk priming is the only way to go after all that effort!

I second that about the carb drops. Used them once, and it's like soft drink. They're nice to eat, though, tastes like sugar lollies. IN fact, they prety much are.

I go for raw sugar.

Also, about the measure, the chemistry student in me (well, the part left from high school) would say that if you're measuring in some sort of measuring spoon, making the suger flat and not rounded or heaped gives the volume intended.

I wouldnt use the carb drops either, they arent that flash. I used sugar for a while, then moved onto dextrose, and now have settled on adding unfermented wort. Ya lose a litre or so through racking losses, and this just puts it back in. Took me a little while to work out what carbonation levels equated to what carbonation (and a very overcarbed brew!), but now its all sorted and seems to be going well. Havent tried actually krauesening yet, but maybe one day
All the best
Trent

Before a trip to the dentist picking up my supplies for the weekend so will grab some dextrose its cheap enough I guess.

Bottling went fine last night now just gotta wait for them to carb or kaboomb.

Sounds interesting Trent. How much wort do you add for low, medium and high carbonation?

Guys also I added priming sugars too to many long necks so I just popped a cap on top(placed not sealed) on top, that should be alright for the next batch that I am bottling tonight?

Also I am going to do half dextrose, and half castor sugar to see the difference, but I need to use slightly more dextrose dont I? say half a centre metre above the U shape?

Back