Duelling Yeasts!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InCider

Swap Whore
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just had the sickening realisation that I added cider yeast AND notthingham to a cider brew I just put down.

Double bugger. :eek:

Very absentmindedly I added cider yeast as it was in front of me, then went back to the shed as I had forgotten to add the nottingham.

Question 1 : Does the 'strongest' yeast prevail, or do the two just work in parallel?

Question 2 : Do I need to record my brews? I'll answer that one - yes.

Question 3 : Has anyone else done this?

Cheers,

InCider.

Question 1 : Does the 'strongest' yeast prevail, or do the two just work in parallel?

To my understanding most yeasts will work together.

I haven't mixed those 2 strains, but have blended in the past - 1728 & 2124 was the most recent blend.

Records are like pants - totally optional :icon_cheers:

I recently did a brew with s-33 and US-05 deliberatly as I had half a pack of US05 and the S-33 is only 6 grams. It had equal characteristics from both. I don't know if I would bother again though. If you dont want the cider yeast to get much of a hold maybe try fermenting around 14c as Nottingham can act like a lager yeast.

Thanks Beers and Beer&Kebab!

I feel better now - I'll keep the ferment at 18-20 (fridgmate, but the shed really heats up so there's +/- 2') and see if I can do well with both of them.

Cheers,

InCider.

Latest posts

Back