Dud Wheat Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Linz

Reaction score
Came across a few bottles of wheat beer that werent too nice. There are probabaly enough to fill a fermenter(2 different brews). I was reading that breweries sometimes add fruit to dud brews to make them worth drinking.

If I can, how much fruit to a batch???

2nd, Pouring from the bottles into the fermenter will cause problems ;wont it??

Thoughts or knowledge gladly accepted B)

Sorry to hear that Linz. I also have a dodgy wheat beer, it was a pitiful attempt at a wit, with about 27 times the legal limit of orange peel.

I'd also like to know what can be done to rescue these beers

Im thinking of adding 2 cans of 100% raspberries from woolies

From what I have heard about adding fruit - and have tried myself but without much success, is that you need to add a heap of fruit to make it worthwhile. I would reckon at least a couple of kilos in a 20 litre batch.
Pouring bottles back into a fermenter seems to pose a lot of problems, but as long as you can add a stack of fresh fermentables ( fruit + sugars) then it might not be a complete stuff up.

dreamboat

I am assuming that running the beer down the side of the bucket fermenter will "reduce" the chance of oxidation, with the bucket tilted at a 45o angle.
Being a wheat beer, the flavours aren't too strong, just sharp.The other wheat beer ...I screwed up...added 500gm crystal instead of the 250 i was supposed too. So I'm going to blend the two and add the fruit.

So Dreamboat....2kg of fruit?? Raspberries??

Back