Duck In The Beer Fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mercs Own

blabla
Reaction score
Yep making Peking Duck - this ones been hanging over night and is soon to go in the oven.

duck_in_the_fridge.JPG

Dude!!!

ET is in your bar fridge stealing all your beers!!

post_986_1301788935_thumb.jpg

recipe would be good to. threw a duck in the webber not long ago but it just didnt cut it.

recipe would be good to. threw a duck in the webber not long ago but it just didnt cut it.

Did you blanch or bath the duck in hot water before hand, then marinade and leave in cool room or fridge over night to dry out... That works a treat for me.

True to form I cooked the duck, I ate the duck I forgot to take photos of the duck!! I did set it on fire in my weber Q!! I indirect roasted it on the Q which means there is little room for the fat to drain off so ar one point I openned the l id to see how it was going and it went up big time! Not to worry I put it out and continued to cook it and it all turned out fine.

I cooked it again the other day for my show so you can see the how of it - I also made the mandarin pancakes but used a wit beer intead of water.

Basic process was wash, clean and pat dry duck (removing oil gland too) Stuff flavourings up duck and sow up cavaity. Baste dusk with boiling stock - water, honey, spices, spring onion, vinegar, sherry, soy, ginger etc I do this about ten times then hang in fridge over night. Remove from fridge and hang by the front door so as to further dry out then roast in the oven at 190 C for 90 minutes or until crisp.

Make pancakes, cut up spring onion and cucumber batons and serve with a hoi sin and seasame oil sauce.

Delicious.

webber one touch :) the proper webber! indirect heat method with a roasting tray underneath to catch all the fat and nope it didnt catch alight. although the big webbers are a fair bit bigger than the webber q's yea?

Hey Merc,

sounds delicious, ive been tempted to cook a chinese style duck (not necessarily peking) as ive been drawing some inspiration fron Niel Perry's balance and harmony cookbook. awesome ideas for how to start your own masterstock. Use it, condense it down and refreezing it after each use. He goes to the effort of having a different one for each type of beast. (the joys of having your own professional kitchen).

FOr those that are not in the know about masterstock (no, not chef). Essentially you are concentrating the flavours each time and then topping up prior to use. there is talk that in some restaurants in China the masterstick is decades old. I also heard of a business in melbourne that relocated and orchestrated it around keeping the masterstock going. haha

Although it is quite wasteful, e.g. 1 bottle of soy sauce added each time of use etc etc but the results would be well worth it. for the blanching of the duck and making soy sauce chicken. :icon_drool2:

If only i had a deep freezer.

nice one Mercs :icon_cheers:

and good timing with being in the middle of open season ATM, might have to try something like that one day

Looks a little burnt - because I did set it on fire - but tasted delicious!

duck.JPG

Back