Dublin Drunks Ending Up In River Liffey

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doc

Doctor's Orders Brewing
Reaction score
Unusually high number of drunks need rescuing from river
By The Associated Press
(10/28/04 - DUBLIN, Ireland) Several drunks are being drawn from the River Liffey each week, according to the Dublin Fire Brigade.

The fire service said it's made unexpectedly heavy use of its newly purchased water-rescue equipment because people increasingly are falling or jumping into the river that cuts central Dublin in two.

The service said it was responding to up to 10 emergency calls a week. While some are attempted suicides, an increasing majority are alcohol-fueled slips or deliberate leaps made in response to a bet. Several low-level road and pedestrian bridges span the river, which runs alongside the heavy-drinking tourist quarter called Temple Bar.

The Dublin Fire Brigade in the past year has bolstered its River Liffey rescue service, buying an inflatable raft, floating ropes, wet suits, a dingy and a truck with a crane that hoists the dingy in and out of the water.

After rescues, people are almost always treated for hypothermia. Firefighters and those they rescue must be decontaminated because of the level of river pollutants.

My daughter lived inTemple Bar on the banks of the Liffey so I am well acquainted with it. Anyone who jumps in that creek without their personal Idophor pump spray would be courting death. Perhaps there are some sterilizing propertys in Guinness. If they use Liffey water at the brewery (just down the road) that would explain the colour and its properties as an oral vaccine.

Tony M said:
Perhaps there are some sterilizing propertys in Guinness. If they use Liffey water at the brewery (just down the road) that would explain the colour and its properties as an oral vaccine.
Makes you wonder Tony M.

When I was at boarding college there was an informal Torrens Club of sorts, that being people dumb/drunk enough to swim across the Torrens. Although to be fair you can probably walk across it in places.

Back