Dubbel Style Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echo2

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking at putting down an extract version of something similar to a Dubbel, want to it to have nice hoppy flavours and aromas. Have a look at this recipe and comment on any changes you think I should make or anything I should do different

1.5kg Black Rock Light LME x2
200g Pale Crystal - Steeped
2KG Belgium clear-to-amber Candi Sugar
WLP530

10g Green Bullet 13.9% 60 min
10g Green Bullet 13.9% 20 min
10g Motueka (B saaz) 6.8% 20 min
10g Motueka (B saaz) 6.8% 15 min
10g Motueka (B saaz) 6.8% 10 min
5g Green Bullet 13.9% 5 min
10g Green Bullet 13.9% Dry hopped
10g Motueka (B saaz) 6.8% Dry hopped

Using IanH's spreadsheet I get an OG of 1.070, FG of 1.012.
IBU of 36.8 - not quite sticking to style guideline but I am happy with a more bitter beer especially considering how much sugar going into this.

What do you think?

Why so much sugar?

I'd be inclined to drop that right down, use a much darker one (D1 or D2 syrup) and use some special b instead of the crystal.

If you can get it, get the Briess pilsner malt extract and use enough of that to get to about 1060. Then add enough sugar to get to around 1070 in recipe software. Make up the malt extract wort using around 1/4 of the sugar. Add the rest of the sugar in stages after fermentation has slowed right down.

Green bullet and motueka in late additions will be interesting - may work with the belgian fruity yeast esters, may not. Only one way to find out.

65gm of hops in the last 20 minutes, this seems more like a Belgian-style IPA than a true Dubbel.

If you're wanting to make something to style, and really let the malt and yeast phenols shine, I say drop the hop additions to Green Bullet @ 60, Motueka @ 20, and maybe Motueka @ 5 mins.

If you couldn't give a puckered starfish about BJCP styles, then brew your beer, to your recipe, and enjoy it.

Using that much sugar as that what is going to get my OG up to 1070? What could I use instead of the sugar to get OG up to 1.070? I am going to do home made Candi Sugar. I already have the Crystal from the last brew I did so thought I would use that.

Might take that late addition of Green Bullet out then. I'm not fussed about making to any style guideline really. I was just more trying to get that sort of Belgian style beer. But yea, BJCP doesn't mean a lot to me at this time in brewing career.. just trying to experiment a little so not sticking styles as such.

Using that much sugar as that what is going to get my OG up to 1070? What could I use instead of the sugar to get OG up to 1.070?

More malt

And I'm not saying drop the sugar altogether - you will need it for balanced body/finish.

Just less of that and more of something else like malt.

Some LDME?

Maybe use 750g LDME and then 1.25kg Candi Sugar instead?

Decided to change hop schedule to try something a little different someone has recommended,
50g Green Bullet 13.9% at 20min
50g Motueka 6.8% at 10min
50g Motueka 6.8% at 0min

What do you think of this? Apparently gives a nice sweet malty start with a smooth kick in the face hop finish.

Decided the beer is no longer anything like a Dubbel more like a IPA as suggested earlier, only thing Belgian about it is the yeast and sugar haha.

Latest posts

Back